TNI Forums: Jake Lloyd :'Star Wars fame turned my life into a living hell' - TNI Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jake Lloyd :'Star Wars fame turned my life into a living hell'

#1 User is offline   Wheeljack35 

  • The Jedi Insider Jedi
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 31,267
  • Joined: 21-February 04

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:21 AM

Check it out here

http://jediinsider.c...=8&itemid=14090

#2 User is offline   MikePrime 

  • Cardassian
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 685
  • Joined: 12-July 03

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:36 AM

And another reason why Anakin should have been older in Episode I. This is very unfortunate.

#3 User is offline   joenubb 

  • Cardassian
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 618
  • Joined: 29-November 06

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

It really is unfortunate. It seems that he's been bullied and picked on growing up as a result of starring in Episode I and that can have very negative impact on an adolescent. Watch any interview with him over the last few years and you can see how jaded he is. And as someone who was bullied growing up, I wish him the best.

#4 User is offline   slao 

  • The Candy Man
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,492
  • Joined: 11-February 06

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

While most have gone out to bash Jake Lloyd for his acting skills in Episode 1, I've never had any problem with his portrayal of a young Anakin Skywalker. At the time he was a very young actor, plus to be put in such a hugely talked about role for a highly anticipated movie, the pressure must have been unreal. Unfortunately for most fans the movie was simply over-hyped and not of the same quality as the prior Star Wars films. As a result, I kinda felt that poor Jake Lloyd received a majority of the blame, when in reality the script wasn't very good and the dialogue was quite wooden to begin with.

Aside from the prior Star Wars efforts and the special effects, these actors really didn't have much to work with...all in all, Episode 1 was a lackluster and disappointing effort in all aspects. You can't blame Lloyd for it all and I also don't blame him for staying away from the biz and anything related to Episode 1 considering all the backlash.

#5 User is offline   yojoebro82 

  • Grand Moff Tarkin
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5,507
  • Joined: 30-August 05

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

View Postslao, on 07 March 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

While most have gone out to bash Jake Lloyd for his acting skills in Episode 1, I've never had any problem with his portrayal of a young Anakin Skywalker. At the time he was a very young actor, plus to be put in such a hugely talked about role for a highly anticipated movie, the pressure must have been unreal. Unfortunately for most fans the movie was simply over-hyped and not of the same quality as the prior Star Wars films. As a result, I kinda felt that poor Jake Lloyd received a majority of the blame, when in reality the script wasn't very good and the dialogue was quite wooden to begin with.

Aside from the prior Star Wars efforts and the special effects, these actors really didn't have much to work with...all in all, Episode 1 was a lackluster and disappointing effort in all aspects. You can't blame Lloyd for it all and I also don't blame him for staying away from the biz and anything related to Episode 1 considering all the backlash.


Agreed! Wheter you're newcomers like Jake Lloyd or Hayden Christensen or veterans like Liam Neeson or Ewin McGreggor, you can only go with with the crap you're given. And these actors were definately given some crap ("Wizards!").

I also sympathize with the kid...

#6 User is offline   Wheeljack35 

  • The Jedi Insider Jedi
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 31,267
  • Joined: 21-February 04

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

Hell thy should of picked on him for the movie he did prior to this with Arnold..Hell the PM was much better then that one

#7 User is online   featofstrength 

  • Beastman
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,582
  • Joined: 15-April 06

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

but he's okay with turnin a buck at Star Wars autograph sessions?

I'll ask him in a couple weeks...
http://www.planetcomicon.com/

View PostWheeljack35, on 07 March 2012 - 08:05 PM, said:

Hell thy should of picked on him for the movie he did prior to this with Arnold..Hell the PM was much better then that one

wrong. Jingle All the Way sucks, but Jake gave the best performace of all involved.

"Thanks a lot, dad."
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Wheeljack35 

  • The Jedi Insider Jedi
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 31,267
  • Joined: 21-February 04

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

View Postfeatofstrength, on 07 March 2012 - 08:39 PM, said:

but he's okay with turnin a buck at Star Wars autograph sessions?

I'll ask him in a couple weeks...
http://www.planetcomicon.com/

View PostWheeljack35, on 07 March 2012 - 08:05 PM, said:

Hell thy should of picked on him for the movie he did prior to this with Arnold..Hell the PM was much better then that one

wrong. Jingle All the Way sucks, but Jake gave the best performace of all involved.

"Thanks a lot, dad."



LOL who knows maybe those people treat him better :P

#9 User is offline   Dake 

  • Romulan
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 763
  • Joined: 16-April 05

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

It is a shame. He played a text-book Dickensian youth - obnoxiously precocious. It's not his fault Lucas can't write.

#10 User is offline   MikePrime 

  • Cardassian
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 685
  • Joined: 12-July 03

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

Not that I want to be fair to George Lucas, but I think Jake's problems came from the fact that some kids can be assholes.

#11 User is online   featofstrength 

  • Beastman
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,582
  • Joined: 15-April 06

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

i found some of those other kids in the screentests to be less obnoxious

#12 User is offline   Devilbat 

  • "Do or do not...there is no try."
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7,474
  • Joined: 10-December 01

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

The pic that article has of Lloyd is hilarious. He looks quite ticked-off in it while signing an autograph. (lol)

Gosh...as much as I love Episode I, there are times when Jake Lloyd's performance seems so fake and unnatural it's excruciating, then other times it seems okay, or at least adequate. Maybe uneven is better, as if Lucas didn't do enough takes to get it right or something.

Perhaps he's just upset that overall, Episode I is derided so much. Had he appeared in one of the more beloved installments he wouldn't hate and/or resent his situation so much. Me? I'm like Samuel L. Jackson when he said early on he wanted to be in the prequels so bad that he would probably have been thrilled just to be a stormtrooper in the background somewhere. (lol) I would be absolutely thrilled to have been in a Star Wars film and be recognized and adored by the hardcore fans. But then again, I'm not Jake Lloyd, I wasn't in Episode I, and I'm on the outside looking in. I've not walked in his shoes and has had to deal with what he has. I have seen one particular interview where the guy doing it was an idiot, kinda asking veiled questions that were very provocative, and you could tell the guy was trying to get a rise out of Loyd and it was really getting on his nerves, but he remained pretty professional and cool-headed the whole time. I might have slapped the mic out of his hand at some point and said, "This interview is over. Get a life moron." (lol)

#13 User is offline   Agent Adam 

  • TNI TF Mod
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 10,437
  • Joined: 06-November 02

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

Article may not be entirely true. He may have retired from acting, but he was in film school a couple of years ago when he did an interview on TPM tenth anniversary. The author may have inaccurately took "retired from acting" as retiring from the industry. Oh well.

#14 User is offline   jedimaster-c 

  • Boba Fett
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,924
  • Joined: 25-December 03

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

View PostMikePrime, on 07 March 2012 - 12:36 AM, said:

And another reason why Anakin should have been older in Episode I. This is very unfortunate.


My thought exactly.Typecast anyone?I don't know why Lucas went with a 9 year old for Anakin and not someone that was much older.I still think that was a bad idea.

#15 User is offline   Devilbat 

  • "Do or do not...there is no try."
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7,474
  • Joined: 10-December 01

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

I've often wondered if Lucas did it for his son. He's always citing personal reasons for the some of the things he does cinematically, so I think he made Episode I for his son, and a nine-year-old Anakin would perhaps be a heroic character he could look up to and/or relate to maybe, since he wasn't much younger than Jake Lloyd at the time. That's my theory, and I'm stickin' with it.

#16 User is offline   MikePrime 

  • Cardassian
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 685
  • Joined: 12-July 03

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

View PostDevilbat, on 08 March 2012 - 08:39 PM, said:

I've often wondered if Lucas did it for his son. He's always citing personal reasons for the some of the things he does cinematically, so I think he made Episode I for his son, and a nine-year-old Anakin would perhaps be a heroic character he could look up to and/or relate to maybe, since he wasn't much younger than Jake Lloyd at the time. That's my theory, and I'm stickin' with it.



Even though, twenty years earlier, back then, he made a lot money off of children who adored the original trilogy, what with its twenty-something Mark Hamill and thirty-something Harrison Ford.

#17 User is offline   Devilbat 

  • "Do or do not...there is no try."
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7,474
  • Joined: 10-December 01

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

Oh I agree completely...the same could be said about Hasbro de-militarizing G.I. Joe in recent years and watering it down for the kiddies. I was nine-years-old when RAH came out, and all that true-to-life "NATO and Warsaw Pact small-arms" talk on the uber-realistic file cards captured my little mind and made me believe I had just bought a real piece of the military. Same with Star Wars; you don't have to "dumb-down" things for the kids. I'm just saying why I think Lucas made Episode I the way he did; I truly think he had his son in mind and was making a film for that age group. He tends to do things he wants to do, and if the rest of the world likes it, great. (lol) That's my impression of the man at this point. Does that make for blockbusters that appeal to a broader range of fans? Nope. But I'm not sure Lucas cares about that. His moviemaking is a deeply personal process for him I think, and the mass appeal is just icing on the cake.

#18 User is offline   Bespin refugee 

  • http://jasonshoemaker.deviantart.com/
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 16,079
  • Joined: 29-April 03

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:36 AM

Taking the movies as they are, I see Anakin's youth as a method to play up his innocence and the bond with his mother. With younglings taken years earlier, and someone Luke's age ready to leave; TPM's Anakin loses his mother, and his mentor, (not to mention, a girl he begins to have feelings for), then thrust into the Jedi training, with a newly knighted Jedi master, all at a young age, unable to deal with his feelings.

Kids can be cruel, and it's really unfortunate that a highlight in his life became such a burden.

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users


ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment
 
Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us