Mattel Puts The Call Out For A JLU Bail-Out

JayC

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CRAP, CRAP, &CRAP! Why should we have to foot the bill for their bad decisions. We already have to pay for GM, Chryser, AIG, and too many banks to list with our taxes. Why in the world would I buy figures I already own so I can see the figures they told me were own the way. I love this line, but this is a desperate move that does nothing but piss me off. I used to use AIG for insurance, but not anymore. Take note Mattel.

CRAP, CRAP, &CRAP! Why should we have to foot the bill for their bad decisions. We already have to pay for GM, Chryser, AIG, and too many banks to list with our taxes. Why in the world would I buy figures I already own so I can see the figures they told me were own the way. I love this line, but this is a desperate move that does nothing but piss me off. I used to use AIG for insurance, but not anymore. Take note Mattel.

I'm glad I dropped this line when I did. This is rediculous. Sorry Mattel. I say let this line die.

Good. I hope they crash and burn. Mattel's a horrible company with poor quality control and bad distribution. How can they F**k up so continously on such a large scale? Where are our new Movie masters? What happened to the last batch in may? Why are they scalping those MOTU figures on their website? Why ghost busters now too? F**k mattel. I hope Hasbro gets the DC license and does something decent with it for once.

If they buy back the old stock, they can sell it again later, when new fans are looking for them. Instead of reissuing the same batmen and supermen all the time, they can just hold on to the over stock and sell them later...

Wow. I've been with this line from the beginning and I've got to say...This is pretty shameless on Mattel's part.

As people have posted, Mattel clearly got themselves into this jam by making a poor ...and most likely economical... choice in their manufacturers. This, though, is compounded with a couple of other bad decisions...

1. Their first waves of exclusive Target products were fairly unimpressive. The first single carded wave...or has it been two?... featured nothing but re-released and a couple of re-paints. Sinestro Corp Sinestro was probably the most exciting single-carded figure released so far since going exclusively with Target. Hell, the Wonder Pig was probably the biggest draw of these products. Mattel's usual 3-pack scam ...where Mattel charges us twelve bucks for a new figure and gives us our twentieth Superman and Wonder Woman for free...was undermined by two particularly ugly figures, Galatea and Captain Atom.

2. This is not be Mattel's fault but Target has treated this line rather shabbily. Perhaps Target felt burnt by being stuck with such poor, unwanted product. Clearly though Target through these onto pegs rather carelessly often mixing them with the Infinite Heroes line and very often leaving pegs looking threadbare. Some of this of course may be due to Mattel's situation.

As a final kicker, note in the pic accompanying this article featuring the Batman Beyond 3 pack, an oddity featuring three entirely new figures! In the pic, Warhawk's leg is bent out!

Some things never change!

Wow. That's lame. Have Mattel tell Target to clearance all that crap out and then I'll go buy it and give it to Toys for Tots.

Better yet, have Mattel tell DC to do a gigantic Summer Event where Kilowog gets cloned and the Kilowog Army fights the JLA. Geoff Johns can write it!

Wow. That's lame. Have Mattel tell Target to clearance all that crap out and then I'll go buy it and give it to Toys for Tots.

Better yet, have Mattel tell DC to do a gigantic Summer Event where Kilowog gets cloned and the Kilowog Army fights the JLA. Geoff Johns can write it!

Actually, l would think any other company would do such a thing

From what I have heard, for a action figure line to go on clearance, the toy company has to buy the stock from retail so that they can be on clearance. l guess Mattel does not want to lose cash

l am not sure if I have seen a justice League Unlimited figure on clearance recently

I try to defend toy companies as much as possible, mainly because collector's make ridiculous comments and have unrealistic expectations, but this is unbelievable and embarrassing. When you make a bad business decision you bite the bullet and eat the costs, you don't ask the consumer to pay for it. Mattel will use this as the final nail in the coffin and this line won't make it out of 2009.

Sorry Mattel, this one's all on you.

I myself have never care for this line I've never did like how they were made. If I where getting any of them it would only be the Superfriends 3 pack. Sameri,Apach Chef and Black Volcan that I saw from Toy Faire. They be the only ones I would get but the others no way.

Oh, come on... this article and some of the comments are unfair.

There have been thousands of factories in China which have shut down due to the global economic downturn we're all experiencing. Millions of Chinese workers have been laid off and have had to return to farming for their living. To blame the factory closing on Mattel's "bad business decision" is just ridiculous.

Also, they are funding the discounts for the three packs that are on sale at Target. This makes sense, as it benefits everyone... the collector, the distributor and the manufacturer.

So, you can sit there and "tsk, tsk" Mattel all you want, I'm going to go get some of those three packs that they want to unload.

Oh, come on... this article and some of the comments are unfair.

There have been thousands of factories in China which have shut down due to the global economic downturn we're all experiencing. Millions of Chinese workers have been laid off and have had to return to farming for their living. To blame the factory closing on Mattel's "bad business decision" is just ridiculous.

Also, they are funding the discounts for the three packs that are on sale at Target. This makes sense, as it benefits everyone... the collector, the distributor and the manufacturer.

So, you can sit there and "tsk, tsk" Mattel all you want, I'm going to go get some of those three packs that they want to unload.

If I remember correctly this factory problem started when they got busted using cheap factories who were bypassing U.S. saftey regulations like using lead paint in their products. No other major company like Hasbro got busted for that. Seems to me that Mattel cuts corners and thats why they get into these messes.

I'm glad I dropped this line when I did. This is rediculous. Sorry Mattel. I say let this line die.

What are you collecting these days?

After the whole Gleek BS, I'm not going out of my way to help Mattel.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA @loll@ @loll@ @loll@ LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

People did i not tell you about this? You all thought I was nuts for thinking Mattel wanted us to just throw cash at them and get crap in return and just be a good sport about the whole thing!! MAN-O-MAN, when Queen is trying to tell yall somethin yall better listen. I'm not crazy!.................Mattel is, but I'm not.

And HELL NO!!! I WILL NOT BUY THEIR CRAP! Frankly I don't realy think its a crap factory thats the real blame any how (it might be part of it), but not the main cause. IMO the real cause is the fact that JLU is and always has been total and utter sh*t. the toy is boring as all hell and no fun to own. They all look like what Gumby would look like if he were to turn in to a DC charactor (gumby did that sort of thing right? you know do a lil shap shifting?). Well any way, good luck Mattel Queen is gearing up to buy the next wave of Superman Batman due out in a few weeks from DC Direct.

Hay Mattel go stand on the street corner with Rayban shades on and a tin cup and cane. mabe some AIG VPs will toss you some of their bonus money (made possible form tax payers........bastards).

they must be freaking crazy if they think im going to buy sh!t i already have because somebody at mattel screwed up. they should buy the crap back themselves if they dont and they stop making them oh well less money i have to give them.

Why the hell would I pay $13 for the three packs and have tons of Supermen,Batmen/Wonder Women?

I do need some of the figures like Fire and Ice and Supergirl but Mattel made it so you have to get one million of the origional 7

Actually, now that I think about it, Mattel should buy back all of the pegwarmers and melt them down to make more GLEEKS! GLEEKS FOR ALL! YAY! WOO HOO!!

OH MY EVER LOVEIN GOD!!! Thank you Jase (BTW how you been sweety, long time to speak lol), but yeah Mattel has realy got the unmidigated gaul and the gumption after pulling down their pants, spreading their butt cheeks and basicly telling us to kiss and lick it with this whole Gleek situation and to just deal with it. But now they want the very same fans to have a care and bail their sorry butts out........pfft, like hell I will.

That is completly crazy, why would they even ask somthing like that? Mattel is so out of touch its crazy. So they overproduce a slew of repaints and want us to foot the bill. Oh well, JLU had a great run, and now that the Legion and Marvels are going to exclusives my JLU is prety much complete.

This is pretty unbelievable to me, but it's not a surprise given Mattel's recent behavior.

They've been pretty audacious with MOTUC ("Buy now or else.") and the DCUC 2-packs preordering ("Commit to buy our product that we won't show you or else."). I'm not sure who's running things or making these decisions, but trying to hold your loyal customers over a barrel just isn't cool, and doing it repeatedly sure as hell doesn't fly.

They're the multi-million dollar corporation; we're the average joes trying to get by. But they think it's a sound business decision to ask us to be the ones that clear out their old product?

Unbelievable.

Just to be fair. I do want to point out that Mattel states in their message that they are funding a month long price reduction on 3 packs. Not sure what that means exactly, what month and how much a reduction. There has been no noticeable price reduction at my Target but I just wanted to point that out.

I think the writing on the wall started when Mattel decided to go exclusively with Target for the JLU line. And add to that Target never put them on their web site so that people who do not have a Target store in their area could easily get them. Lastly, the repeated use of the same figures with 1 new one. Who needs all those Superman's, Batman's, Wonder Woman's, etc? You would have thought they would have made a note of what killed the He-Man 200X line. All you could ever find was He-Man and Skeletor, none of the other figures people wanted.