Samus Aran Custom Action Figure

red3183

Here is my Samus Aran Custom Action Figure. She was made from scratch, sculpting, molds, casts, and paint. Here are some quick facts.

1/6th scale

25 points of articulation

22 oz total weight

Over 250 hours to complete

100% hand-made

1000% headache

2084604887_55aa2440f5.jpg2046608802_28f7a9bfbe.jpg

2048885547_5c673b5c1f.jpg

You can see more pics on my Flickr page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12421933@N05/

10000% exellent! awesome pics! i like the see through samus. anymore WIP picks? did you make the balljoints/hinges/etc.. yourself as well? cool stuff man!

Thanks. The see through Samus was done in photoshop. Someone else said that she looked too skinny, out of proportion. So I did an overlay of a female body and my Samus figure to compare.

If you go to the Flickr link, you can see the other two I'm working on, Ridley and Lara Croft.

I did make the balljoints myself. I took hat-rack pegs to use as the ball portion. Just took two of them, cut them to the desired length, and glued them together. Then I took that and made a mold and cast it.

For the socket portion, I took a cube slightly larger than the ball and made a mold. So now I'm left with a square hole. From there I suspended a hat-rack peg in the hole and poured in semi-rigid resin (Smooth-On C-1515) to make the socket. Then made a mold of that socket so I can cast more without having to suspend the peg in the hole again. That's pretty much it. I can make pretty much any size ball-socket joint this way.

2092765652_2d6816cca1_m.jpg2091985551_f77638139c_m.jpg2091986449_6c9f111217_m.jpg

2090646642_fa6424a114_m.jpg2089873389_ca8ee0a0a7_m.jpg

wow! thanks for the info. you can pretty much make any figure you want too and repair them at the same time. sounds fun to me!! can't wait to checkout ridley and lara, i'll have to head back to flickr. oh yeah, how did you make the midfoot joints? i know everything was made from scratch, so you probably created the mold that way, but is it possible to create a midfoot joint from a foot missing one? thanks again for sharing your ideas!

wow! thanks for the info. you can pretty much make any figure you want too and repair them at the same time. sounds fun to me!! can't wait to checkout ridley and lara, i'll have to head back to flickr. oh yeah, how did you make the midfoot joints? i know everything was made from scratch, so you probably created the mold that way, but is it possible to create a midfoot joint from a foot missing one? thanks again for sharing your ideas!

I'm not sure what you mean "midfoot joint". Do you mean the toes? So is your figure missing the toe, or does it have a solid foot that you want to add toes? Well... either way, it can be done. It would help if you can post a picture of what you needed done, then I can tell you how to do it.

Here is a site that explains how to add articulation to hands. Would be the same for toes.

http://www.figurerealm.com/customtutorial.php?ID=44

Here is a site that explains how to add articulation to hands. Would be the same for toes.

http://www.figurerealm.com/customtutorial.php?ID=44

whoa! awesome man! thanks for that link, i can finally relax about some of my figs missing that midfoot joint. now i've just got to attempt it, good thing i have extras. you rock!!

Absolutly amazing! @notworthy@ You have enough talent and skill to start your own toy line.

Thank you for your kind words. That is my goal, having my own toy company.

can i work for you? hehe, sincerely! when you do start it, let me know, i'm gonna be the first one to buy!!! you've got a good vision of what's needed from action figures these days!

Absolutly amazing! @notworthy@ You have enough talent and skill to start your own toy line.

Thank you for your kind words. That is my goal, having my own toy company.

can i work for you? hehe, sincerely! when you do start it, let me know, i'm gonna be the first one to buy!!! you've got a good vision of what's needed from action figures these days!

I will need help. Making a figure by myself is a lot of work. If you are serious about it let me know.

thats awsome

~red, that is one helluva scratch-built, man...love the time, the sweat, and quality you put into that piece. the joint engineering, the sculpt, the paint apps...all melded into a single fig. highly commendable. the articulation appears to me inspired by gundam-esque type ball joints and the like, very nice.

keep the toy company dream alive, my friend!

AFR

~red, that is one helluva scratch-built, man...love the time, the sweat, and quality you put into that piece. the joint engineering, the sculpt, the paint apps...all melded into a single fig. highly commendable. the articulation appears to me inspired by gundam-esque type ball joints and the like, very nice.

keep the toy company dream alive, my friend!

AFR

Thanks!

It kind of was Gundam inspired. I have a few Perfect Grade kits... oh those Japanese sure know how to make em. They are pricey, but worth every penny. I don't even know the story or follow any of the Gundam series. All I know that the figures are freakin awsome. Anyways... Thanks again.

*From there I suspended a hat-rack peg in the hole and poured in semi-rigid resin (Smooth-On C-1515) to make the socket. Then made a mold of that socket so I can cast more without having to suspend the peg in the hole again. That's pretty much it. I can make pretty much any size ball-socket joint this way.*

How did you remove hat-rack peg without ruining the shape of the hole in the socket?

*From there I suspended a hat-rack peg in the hole and poured in semi-rigid resin (Smooth-On C-1515) to make the socket. Then made a mold of that socket so I can cast more without having to suspend the peg in the hole again. That's pretty much it. I can make pretty much any size ball-socket joint this way.*

How did you remove hat-rack peg without ruining the shape of the hole in the socket?

Since it was a semi-rigid resin, it is flexable. You just have to wait for it to completely cure. It shouldn't stick to the peg. It just pops out when you pull on it.

My god....fantastic. Perfect, in every way; sculpting, articulation, paint. It's just amazing. Why can't toy companies manages to get out quality like this?

You did an amazing job man, and I hope you do start up a company one day. You've already got a customer right here.

My god....fantastic. Perfect, in every way; sculpting, articulation, paint. It's just amazing. Why can't toy companies manages to get out quality like this?

You did an amazing job man, and I hope you do start up a company one day. You've already got a customer right here.

That is why I want to start my own company... or at least make my own toys. I'm not happy with the stuff that comes out these days.

Thanks for the support.

Amazing work and welcome to TNI!

Your skills are incredible. Very very cool figure. The idea of scratch building has always appealed to me, even if I'll never be able to do it myself.