• Group: Members

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:30 PM

Mattel Q&A Round 3

View the full article

#2 User is offline   BingoBrown 

• Andorian

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:05 PM

TNI: Is there a list of DC characters that WB has given you that you CANNOT do as 6" figures, and if so can you tell us who those characters are?

Mattel: Aside from some characters that have legal issues surrounding them (Charleston characters for example), we do not have access to certain “adult” figures that are too violent for a toy aisle (such as Lobo).

Why is Lobo too violent to make into an action figure, but yet he was routinely featured on Superman:TAS and Justice League? Does that make sense? How is an action figure too violent anyway? Doesn't McFarlane make a bunch of creepy monster sculpts that they sell in the toy aisles at Toys 'R Us? How is Lobo worse than those figures?

#3 User is offline   acethebathound 

• Quintesson

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:14 PM

I wonder if anyone ever did a DCU body count. My guess is Darkseid has killed/enslaved more than anyone - oh and he's been on toy aisles plenty of times!

Lobo :rolleyes: like anyone on the planet would complain if a Lobo figure ended up on toy aisles.

#4 User is offline   ToodlesMrJim 

• Battle Droid

Posted 19 September 2007 - 11:04 PM

I don't see why no Lobo.......... well this probably means I won't get a mattel version of the Endless ......

#5 User is offline   SatanLovesYou 

• Cobra Soldier

Posted 20 September 2007 - 11:45 AM

Lobo is too violent for a toy but not a cartoon? That's rediculous.

I would consider McFarlane's ultra-realistic Military figures sold in every Toys R Us to be infinitely more violent than anything in the DCU. These are toys created to profit off of and promote war and real-life death and violence. Yet, these are perfectly acceptable in any toy isle.

But Lobo, a fictional character who represents nobody and has never contributed to any actual violence, is what we consider too violent? He's not even violent by comic book standards, falling behind Darkseid, Doomsday and many others. Wolverine single-handedly killed 500,000 people in Enemy of the State, and he's one of the most popular toys on the market.

This country has its priorities backward.

#6 User is offline   Dark_Phoenix 

• Power Incarnate

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:11 PM

Could somebody tell me who the "Charleston characters" are?

#7 User is offline   Cloud 

• Jango Fett

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:51 PM

Sadly I think the "Charleston characters" are the ones who got popular within these years: Blue Beetle, The Question, and that's all I can think of right now.

#8 User is offline   thanos0341 

• thanos0341

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:55 PM

View PostCloud, on Sep 20 2007, 05:51 PM, said:

Sadly I think the "Charleston characters" are the ones who got popular within these years: Blue Beetle, The Question, and that's all I can think of right now.

Captain Atom.

#9 User is offline   El Kabong 

• The Fixer

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:36 PM

So, pardon my ignorance, but why no Charleston characters? I know the world of copyrights is complicated stuff, but no one has ever given me an answer to this question. And if there were issues with the use of these characters, why did the Question and Captain Atom show up in JL? Bruce Timm and Cartoon Network could use them so why not Mattel? Heck, I'd think the lead paint Mattel uses would be great for Captain Atom's containment suit.

#10 User is offline   TomTom 

• Cardassian

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:32 PM

the charton characters can't be passed onto anyone besides DC. that's why we don't have a jlu blue beetle. as for lobo, mattel could do a collaboration with DCD. the horsemen would sculpt the figures and accessories, maybe a base, and DCD would distribute them. he's be like 7 bucks more, but atleast we'd have him.

#11 User is offline   synch 

• Energon hunter

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:37 PM

I think its just the fact that he looks like a devil dressed up as a biker wh y the chimps at mattel do not what him put out .... still kind of bs though all in all... most of DCs characters are violent these days ... Heck anything out of batman = a big no I guess we can never expect to see a joker on the pegs again :P

#12 User is offline   Leatusiv 

• Quintesson

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:58 PM

I demand we get The Main Man!!!! He is one of the ones I was hoping for the most now!!!

#13 User is offline   thanos0341 

• thanos0341

Posted 21 September 2007 - 03:48 PM

Kinda funny how they can't make LOBO, but they can make Etrigan the 'DEMON"!

#14 User is offline   Mr. Yac 

• Imperial Officer

Posted 21 September 2007 - 04:27 PM

View Postthanos0341, on Sep 21 2007, 04:48 PM, said:

Kinda funny how they can't make LOBO, but they can make Etrigan the 'DEMON"!

well Demon hero is better then mass murderer "hero". but i do agree it's kind of stupid to exclude him for that reason

#15 User is offline   KEWOOSKI 

• Cobra Soldier

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:45 PM

If he's not appropriate for mass market release, maybe we can get a Con exclusive Lobo somewhere down the line. He's just too cool of a character to not get a Mattel version.

#16 User is offline   legendsofbatman 

• Cobra Soldier

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:42 PM

View PostKEWOOSKI, on Sep 21 2007, 04:45 PM, said:

If he's not appropriate for mass market release, maybe we can get a Con exclusive Lobo somewhere down the line. He's just too cool of a character to not get a Mattel version.

not THAT i am buying into the "too violent" line; but, you do propose an awesome suggestion; one that i wondered. Then again, I'm not a huge Lobo fan, but, I do think fans deserve the sculpt if they want. And, they shouldnt have to be forced into a worse than Mattel sculpt at a hugher rate, from DC Direct.

#17 User is offline   CapnJeffro 

• Horde Trooper

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:04 AM

Just out of curiosity - if Lobo hadn't been mentioned by name as someone to never see a tiny plastic counterpart - would there be an uproar for the character? Or is it more the principle behind what they said? Honestly, I personally couldn't have cared about Lobo, but hearing violence makes me fear for other characters I do enjoy.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us