G.I.Joe 3 3/4" Single Carded Wave 8 Hi-Res Package & Loose Images

The Wire

Wow. A whole wave of repaints. I didn't think they had it in them. Still, I'm OK with another COBRA trooper army builder, and the ninja will add to the multi-colored ninja division I've been developing, but the rest are kinda average. No need for another Tripwire or Ripper; the 'Crimson' Guard just looks garrish; the diver would be cool, if not for the upcoming EEL figure.

Good to know, though - my wallet needs some R&R time as it is!

Sooo... Ugly Ripper, another peg-warming Python figure, a minty Storm Shadow, A proper Cobra trooper after I spent around $100 bucks to build up the initial release aaand... Tripwire without the smooth bomb squad uniform.

Even I'm disappointed here. : /

Tom

Overall, I'm not thrilled with this wave, but I'll get most.

One ninja viper for the accessories (I passed on the SS/FF CP)

One tripwire for the canister and custom fodder

One cobra diver for canister and new character

Two PP crimson guards - one to keep, other to repaint (I'm working on a stealth set of all blacks)

One Cobra trooper for the sigil - if I have money to waste.

The ripper is a complete waste.

Overall, I'm really disappointed with the wave, new characters would have been better, but overall, decent repaints - at least theres no Duke, CC or Destro.

@can@

Sooo... Ugly Ripper, another peg-warming Python figure, a minty Storm Shadow, A proper Cobra trooper after I spent around $100 bucks to build up the initial release aaand... Tripwire without the smooth bomb squad uniform.

Even I'm disappointed here. : /

Tom

Well, at least you've got the Cobra Troopers with black face masks.

For what it is, not bad in general:

Trooper- I have no pressing need for Troopers, however, if I can get rid of my "small logo" figure from the 5 pack, I might splurge on this one. For some reason, I always thought it more appropriate for Troopers to have the red mask rather than black.

Ninja Viper- Getting the wave 4 comic pack with SS and Firefly, so no need at all for this figure.

Cartoon Ripper- Good thing Tripwire turned out the way he did! I REALLY like this repaint, which perfectly fits in with my growing cartoon collection. My only lament is that I wasted my money on the two pack earlier in the year.

Python CG- New card art surprises me, pretty solid card art too. Given previous repaint team figures, I had expected repainted card art. This was among the few figures as a kid I had that was related to the "classic years" and I am quite happy with it.

Cobra Diver- a very nice repaint, but I'll be getting Eels and have Torpedo, so this is one that is not needed by me. Especially with skipping the MASS CC and Tripwire, I won't even be getting this for the element.

Tripwire- Major dissappointment here. I can kinda understand why the smooth padding might not have been used (may have been tied with Major Bludd or Hiss driver figures in production), but I see NO reason why he couldn't have been painted in more cartoon accurate colors (for most of the cartoon, Tripwire had very light, almost white, gloves and boots, and his padding was grey with very dark green base and blue googles.)

With him being a straight repack, I'll have NO regrets on getting the new comic pack with him AND a CC like the one I had.

Poor Tripwire, he's the only joe in this wave with all the cobras. LOL. I gotta admit, Ripper looks good. Better than the comic pack version. I hope they will do the same for all Dreadnoks. As for the Trooper, least they can do is update the artwork on the card but still, I don't think the red mask would be right since I've never seen them in the cartoons. The rest looks cool too. I'm just keeping them in the package, I don't care for army building, or ripping them off the package to display. #US1# #US1# #US1#

Ninja Viper: Going to pass..never liked the vintage figure and don't want to build up too many ninjas. But I do appericate the fact that they spared us yet another SS.

Cobra Trooper: If it had a black mask I would have bought 11.....since it is red I'll be buying none. Don't know why Hasbro insists on releaseing every figure from the 5-Pack but the one people actually want on a single card.

Phython Guard: Going to pick it up to add to the rest of my PP figures.

Ripper: I was going to get this one, but changed my mind about him. It's the gloves. If he had bare hands I would have got him.

Tripwire: Just getting him for the Element. Already have the comic pack one.

Cobra Diver: Again...just for the element. If anyone is going to army build this guy I'll have him up for trade as soon as I get him. Looking for a Major Bludd from the Desert set....should have a lot of other Army builders I can part with by then as well...so I'd be willing to trade more then one for that figure.

Oh, for crap's sake - couldn't they have smoothed out that Tripwire armour? That's what the proto pics showed.

I'll get a few Python CGs, but that's probably it. I've got enough Cobra Troopers. Pretty terrible wave, overall.

Yeah I am really disappointed in that Tripwire. @grumpy@

The Cobra Diver is more or less the only redeeming aspect of this wave, but when you consider that the Eel is coming out next... it's like Hasbro trying to sell you a Cobra Viper without the vest, backpack and goggles as a "Cobra Light Infantryman". Wasteful... > : (

Tom

Ninja Viper: WHY couldn't we get this instead of the usless "Ninja Ku Storm Shadow"? I find it funny that the original used all of Storm Shadow's version 1 mold and they STILL couldn't get it right. Maybe the just thought we were sick of that mold?

Ripper: Did anyone notice they dropped the plate on his right shoulder? He might actually be worth getting.

Red Symbol Trooper: A little late.

Python Guardsman: Hopefully we can ge thtem all. IMO, doesn't make sense if we don't.

Tripwire: I agree, WHY not the non-quilted version? The ONLY reason people will get it is for the meteor thing and that's just sad.

Cobra Diver: It seems pointless to me, even though he is intended to go with the Baroness.

I don't mind this wave. I want two of the Ninja Vipers to round out my Ninja Clan and I will be looking for four of the Divers to place in my fish tank display. I could do with-out a few of the repaints but at least we are getting some items that are worthy in this Wave.

Now all I need is a few Generic Joe Divers to make my underwater display complete.

I don't mind this wave. I want two of the Ninja Vipers to round out my Ninja Clan and I will be looking for four of the Divers to place in my fish tank display. I could do with-out a few of the repaints but at least we are getting some items that are worthy in this Wave.

Now all I need is a few Generic Joe Divers to make my underwater display complete.

Do you have pics of your fish tank display?

Sounds very interesting.

Don't characters like Cobra Commander, Destro, Major Bludd, the Twins, etc., like to take a dip? Just use the Cobra Divers as those characters, especially since they go with the Baroness. Then you can still have the Eels underwater with the rest of the big happy Cobra family. :)

Let's look at the good reasons for these.

Ninja Viper: There was a RAH Ninja Viper and a JVC Ninja Viper so why not. He has some different body parts from the other Storm Shadows and cool weapons. No matter what ninjas still sell good whether some of us like it or not and they will continue to be apart of GI Joe. You would think after 25 years people would get that.

Ripper: Lots of fans want Torch and Ripper single carded and lots want cartoon versions of anyone. Two reasons for him right there. Dreadnoks do have a good loyal fan base, I am one of them.

Cobra Trooper: He is one of the most popular troops and is one kind that you can never really have enough of. If you already got alot of the other ones, well, Hasbro did say a single carded one was on the way. I was patient and here he is. I want a bunch of those and others feel the same. He will be a big seller. The red mask is not a big deal. There have been plenty of times where they were shown with red masks. Red, black whatever. Cobra can have them with both colors. I like having Troopers and Officers that are mixed into my group and have little touches that set some apart. How many grunts in the military look absolutly identical down to every inch of their uniform and gear anyway.

Python Patrol Crimson Guard: Looks like there is a good chance of us seeing Tiger Force and Python Patrol around and remade. No reason to leave these guys out.

Tripwire: Same as Dreadnoks, people wanted him single carded. I think enough people did not get the 2 pack so he should do alright. Plus there is the element too. It would have been nice to see him unquilted but still there is some kind of demand for him.

Cobra Diver: This line has so many cool possibilities for troops we never got before. Cobra was around long enough before the Eels that they would have had frogmen. Even if it was Troopers wearing a wet suit and generic ones. Just because we know Eeels came later does not mean we can not have what was around before that. They somewhat could pass as cartoon divers and go with the Baroness. I don't see anything wrong with making up something for the past to fill in holes. I would even love to have a Cobra Officer without the helmet and a headset for a generic pre-Tele-Viper communications trooper. That is exactly how I look at these.

So in my opinion none of these were bad ideas or worthless. I may not get them all but I know others will get what I don't and vice versa.