JayC

to recap the categories:

Property of the Year

Retro Comeback of the Year

Toy Sculptors of the Year

Toy Company of the Year

Toy of the Year

sounds fun.. I'll have to think of my votes and get back

I wonder how you choose "Retro Comeback" of the year. Haven't all the old properties been back for a while now? There was Thundercats, only that line was a failure.

I don't feel I can vote in any of these categories. I bought too little in 2012 and nothing outside of Hasbro or Mattel stuff (and I couldn't justify calling either of those "Company of the Year"). I'll just sit back and watch this one.

to me its clearly neca who owns them all. mattel is second for me. i dont collect hot toys that much they would have won. i believe mattel was on a good track again but then came so manny qc issues again and sometimes it seems like a lost cause but still they deliver some awesome figures from motu to dc.just like neca, mattel doesnt forget that they have fans worldwide and they deliver worldwide. con exlusives are made available in a different form on the site and that is awesome. you are able to complete your collection when you are there right on time. still i believe mattel will take a huge hit 2013 because less articulations and focusing on kids when its an adult line wont fit well in the market. hasbro had to learn that the hard way i guess. neca is just not to beat if you ask me. the most awesome movie figures ever and that for 20bucks. wow. all the terminators and predators were a dream come true for me and just by looking at 2013 i think they will even top 2012 in the first few months. they deliver everything worldwide and even make exclusives available in europe. thats just not to beat. so i saw that on the front page there is a vote so neca got mine.

now the fun part, the weakest company of them all was clearly

jazwares. from lame figures, qc problems and hiring good sculpters and dont even learn from them was beyond everything. so jazwares gets the medal for the lamest company ever.

hasbro. yeah i know some love hasbro but for international fans, hasbro is just lame. most of the time we just get wave one and maybe wave 2 of a wave of movie figures. never finished my avengers team because of it. you cant order from them online either. making figures hard to get. sdcc2012 showed how lost they are sometimes. marvel mini bafs? please. hasbro is lame in my book. no marvel comic figures showed up here. no universe figures at all. sad because they have some good figures. all we see is star wars figures and early waves of movie lines.

I would tell you all my picks but that might give it away ;)

to me its clearly neca who owns them all. mattel is second for me. i dont collect hot toys that much they would have won. i believe mattel was on a good track again but then came so manny qc issues again and sometimes it seems like a lost cause but still they deliver some awesome figures from motu to dc.just like neca, mattel doesnt forget that they have fans worldwide and they deliver worldwide. con exlusives are made available in a different form on the site and that is awesome. you are able to complete your collection when you are there right on time. still i believe mattel will take a huge hit 2013 because less articulations and focusing on kids when its an adult line wont fit well in the market. hasbro had to learn that the hard way i guess. neca is just not to beat if you ask me. the most awesome movie figures ever and that for 20bucks. wow. all the terminators and predators were a dream come true for me and just by looking at 2013 i think they will even top 2012 in the first few months. they deliver everything worldwide and even make exclusives available in europe. thats just not to beat. so i saw that on the front page there is a vote so neca got mine.

now the fun part, the weakest company of them all was clearly

jazwares. from lame figures, qc problems and hiring good sculpters and dont even learn from them was beyond everything. so jazwares gets the medal for the lamest company ever.

hasbro. yeah i know some love hasbro but for international fans, hasbro is just lame. most of the time we just get wave one and maybe wave 2 of a wave of movie figures. never finished my avengers team because of it. you cant order from them online either. making figures hard to get. sdcc2012 showed how lost they are sometimes. marvel mini bafs? please. hasbro is lame in my book. no marvel comic figures showed up here. no universe figures at all. sad because they have some good figures. all we see is star wars figures and early waves of movie lines.

I think the company of the year should be Diamond Select Toys... they keep on pumping out those Minimates like crazy! and even though I don't collect them, I admire the selection and constant quality in the line. I wish other toylines would be so consistent.

If Hasbro would have released all of the stuff that they were supposed to for the 2012 year in a timely manner, I would have chosen Hasbro and the MU line. But Hasbro has been the worst toy company this year IMO

• 1 month later...

How come it felt a bit rushed?...

Do you mean when they gave the awards? It was probably rushed because it was during toy fair, they had to get in and out so the 400 other press people could take their pics and do their interviews.

For those at work who can't see the video, can someone list what awards were given and who won?

For those that want to watch, I put the winners as a spoiler:

Awards were presented for the following categories:

Toy Sculptors of the Year - Four Horsemen Design

Retro Comeback of the Year - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles by Playmates Toys

Toy Property of the Year - Marvel Legends by Hasbro

Toy of the Year - TMNT Secret Sewer Lair Playset by Playmates Toys

Toy Company of the Year - NECA Toys

Congratulations to all of our winners!

How come it felt a bit rushed?...

Do you mean when they gave the awards? It was probably rushed because it was during toy fair, they had to get in and out so the 400 other press people could take their pics and do their interviews.

I was hoping for more from Dan and Jay but I see what you saying...

I am glad NECA won... That guy sounded sincere...

Yeah, it would have been nice if we could spend more time with each, but Toy Fair is very rush and go. Everything is scheduled, and everyone always has somewhere else to be.

Plus, some of these guys just aren't as talkative on camera as I'd like them to be. :-) I understand that they are kind of being put on the spot, so I don't fault them. But Randy at NECA is such a natural. He was awesome. Whereas the guys at Playmates, while incredibly grateful for the rewards, were a little more camera shy I think. :-)

Jay and I deliberated for quite some time on each of these winners, and we absolutely took feedback from fans online for our choices. It's always hard to choose winners for stuff like this, becuase of course everyone has their own opinions and tastes. So nobody is wrong in what they feel here, and if you don't agree with us we're definitely not offended. We're not the end-all be-all of toys! Heh.

But the winners we chose we picked based on what we felt were the best showings for each category and had the most positive feedback from fans.

TMNT was real close to sweeping these awards, LOL. Arguments could have been made for Playmates and TMNT to win each category, honestly. They just did a great job in 2012, imo. But I definitely feel they synched Toy of the Year with that playset. There were some great toys in 2012, don't get me wrong. But that playset is absolutely outstanding for this day in age. It's huge, it's well made, and it's fun.

NECA was easy choice for Company of the Year not only for their great product that constantly seems to improve, but also for their amazing fan interaction. Jay and I both agreed upon that pretty quickly, and it was great to see the poll results reflect that a lot of the fans felt the same way. The fact that Randy goes out of his way to always talk to the fans and answer them, even when the fans aren't that nice, really says alot about him and the company as a whole. NECA is pretty top notch in that regard, and that was a big reason for why they won.

Property of the Year was the hardest for us to choose. I think Marvel Legends had a really great comeback and showing altogether, especially compared to Hasbro's first go-around. I know that I personally tried hard to avoid getting back into collecting Marvel Legends, but once I got a figure from Hasbro's new line, I was immediately hooked again.

As for sculptors, there are a lot of great ones (NECA!), but The Four Horsemen were an easy pick for both myself and Jay. (Hey look...Pixel Dan only picked one MOTUC winner! Wow! ;-) ) These guys work so hard and on so many different lines, and just about everything they do is always impressive. MOTUC, DCUC, Watchmen, and their own lines like Outer Space Men, the upcoming Power Lords (woo!), and their FANtastic Exlcusive stuff...it's all incredible, imo.

So, there's my insight! Jay can add anything else to that and his personal feelings if he wants. I just hope you guys enjoyed this! This was out first go at this, so there's always room for improvement in the future as far as the video presentation and such goes. :-)

Toy Sculptors of the Year - Four Horsemen Design

I totally agree with this one

Retro Comeback of the Year - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles by Playmates Toys

Same here and if Bandai put more effort into advertising the Thundercats like what was done with the Turtles this line might still be around right now along with the toon

I go with Lego: Monster Fighters are cool, they made new series of both Marvel and DC, Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit finally, and then ended the year with the TMNT!

Sorry, I have to stick to what I already stated...Nobody touched Lego last year.

Just the ability of getting the license to do all these properties is astounding but to then to follow it up with some of their very best sets ever.

Oh and I forgot to add that their Friends line have been a break-out success as well.

I go with Lego: Monster Fighters are cool, they made new series of both Marvel and DC, Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit finally, and then ended the year with the TMNT!

Sorry, I have to stick to what I already stated...Nobody touched Lego last year.

Just the ability of getting the license to do all these properties is astounding but to then to follow it up with some of their very best sets ever.

Oh and I forgot to add that their Friends line have been a break-out success as well.

I usually exclude Lego... It wouldn't be fair...

I usually exclude Lego... It wouldn't be fair...

True but then it shouldn't have been one of the choices....

LEGO absolutely had some great stuff, no doubt! Jay and I did discuss the possiblility of giving them an award, so they weren't overlooked!

I'm loving a lot of the stuff they are doing. The TMNT stuff is awesome, and I'm such a sucked for their blind bagged mini figures! :-)