G.I.Joe: Rise of Cobra Action Battlers

The Wire

Sigma Six scale I presume?

Thought they might make nice additions....but then I noticed they lack quite a bit of articulation, noticeably in the knees?

Similar in concept to the Transformers Action Battlers, these are big figures with some action features(Lights and sounds FX, launching features, activation stuff, etc) meant for little kids to play with. The Transformers ones couldn't transform, and from what I could tell not "Super articulated", but they did have some articulation(Decent/passiable articulation), were big figures mean for little hands, and something so that they can bash them against stuff without worry that there was a chance that they could break(Or not break as easily), and handle rough play. They also to me had a bit of a "Cutesy" look to them, but that's just me. The 1st Transformers movie had Action Battlers verisons of Optimus Prime and Bumblebee, while the upcoming Revenge Of The Fallen will I believe re-release these 2 but also have a bad guy for them to fight, Megatron. Maybe more later, unknown. Transformers Animated also has something similar with the Animated verison of Bumblebee(There's actually 2 verisons: 1st release based on his show accurate colours, and another being a repaint but with some blue on it as well).

I can only assume the G.I. Joe: Rise Of Cobra Action Battlers are going to be something similar aimed for small kids for rough playing, judging from the pictures. Again, judging from pictures, they are big, they each have some sort of movement action feature(Sword swing or arm gun rasing. They don't appear to have any lights or sounds, at least these 4 figures. We afterall don't know what's coming out in the near future in regards to the Joe's Action Battlers), look like they can handle rough play, have that "Cutesy" look to some of them(Just look at Duke and his smile for a prime example. I swear I'm sure the Combat Heroes Movie Duke look something similar in terms of head. But the bad guys still look mencing to some sort of degree), have just above average/passiable articulation, and look like something for small hands to get a hold of. Interesting that it looks like Movie Action Battlers Snake Eyes doesn't have a mouth molded on his mask, while in the Movie, he has a molded mouth to his mask(Which I think makes the figure look good).

I can see why some people are thinking these are something similar to the 8" Sigma 6 style of figures(Judging from comments I read in various message boards during NY Toy Fair 2009), mainly because the style of sculpting on the figures are somewhat similar, and both lines do have a sort of anime/cartoony look to them. It also should be noted that the Action Battlers packaging is Green and Black, which was the main theme colours for Sigma 6. That said, I don't think Sigma 6 was that cartoony comapred to these figures(Again, Duke's face, and Snake Eyes head sculpt on the Action Battlers are a prime example). Sigma 6 was still very well articulated(Close to Marvel Legends back in it's early days, but not quite), with many having a boat load of interesting accessories, and had those Sigma Ports for putting weapons/accessories on their bodies for them to carry them on or for interchanagablity with other Sigma 6 figures, unlike these figures which only comes with 1 or 2 accessories, and no Sigma ports.

Since I just kind of started to get some 8" Sigma 6 figures, I am really starting to see just how cool these were(I always thought they were cool looking toys, but never got them because of their size, mainly because I was worry about space in terms of storage and displaying). I think I would of perfered Hasbro bring back the actual 8" Sigma style figures because they were big and they are toys that look and feel like they could handle a kid's rough punishinment of playing, while still be very well articulated. That said, if these Action Battlers are going to be in 8" scale, I may consider getting the Cobra Viper Commando figure, just because he does look kind of neat, still somewhat mencing, and I need me some more Cobra villians for my Sigma style Joes to fight against. But just maybe.

They are larger than 3 3/4" figures but smaller than the Sigma 6 stuff.

In other words...

good for nuttin'? @haha@

They would fit in with Rescue Heroes, Planet Heroes, Spidey & Friends, DC Super Friends. Hasbro even had a Star Wars and Military/Army line in this "Rescue Heroes scale", which, for the life of me I can't think of what they're called.

Plus, they'd go good up against the Transformers GoBots series made for kiddies.

I thought my boys had outgrown they're love for this style, but they had them out the other day. I'll definitely buy them the Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow figures and any others they want.

Okay, I need to do some corrections on my last post here(Post #4), after I did a little searching and looking at the responses. 1st off, the Transformers toys I was actually refering to are actually call Transformers Power Bots, which is what the G.I. Joe: Rise Of Cobra Tough Troops are more in line like(What with both actually having light up features and sound). The packaging between the 2 lines are similar style too. Here's a link to the fourm topic about the Tough Troops:

- http://forums.toynewsi.com/index.php?showtopic=2061904

And here's a link to a pic from TFormers site on the upcoming Transfomrers ROTF Megatron Power Bots toy for a comparison:

- http://www.tformers.com/ig.php?mode=view&a...800&start=0

Next up, "I AM SCI-FI" mentioned about the Star Wars figures that are similar to the Rise Of Cobra Action Battlers(See Post#7 for more info). After checking out Jedi Insider, I found out that they are call Star Wars Force Battlers. These were about 7" in scale. I only recalled seeing them from around 2005-2006 in retail stores. They came out during when the Revenge Of The Sith line came out in 2005. I actually forgot about these Star Wars figures until I AM SCI-FI mentioned about them. Here's a link from Jedi Insider on 1 of the waves from 2005:

- http://jediinsider.com/index.php?catid=8&itemid=7116

After seeing those Star Wars Force Battlers figures and looking at the Joes Action Battlers, I think I would say that the Action Battlers are more in line with the Force Battlers, since both have an action feature that involves some sort of movement, and have about the same articulation. I would have to guess that the Joes verisons will also be in the 7" scale, since JayC mentioned that they were bigger than 4", but smaller than 8"(In Post#5). But all in all, these are targeted for young/little kids who are rough in their playing.