Original, Unaltered Cut Of Star Wars Trilogy To Be Released

Wheeljack35

For a long time Star Wars fans have been clamoring for Disney/Lucasfilm to re-release the original, unaltered cut of the first Star Wars trilogy, and Comicbook.com has now confirmed with two independent reliable sources that just such a plan is under way.

According to our sources, Disney has plans to release the original cut of the Star Wars trilogy on Blu-ray. Our sources indicate that the project has been under way for quite some time, but it’s been challenging because of some damage to the original negatives they are utilizing. The goal is to release A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of Jedi in their complete, unaltered, original form without the redone special edition SFX.

Our sources did not have an exact date as to when the original cut of the Star Wars Trilogy would be released on Blu-ray, due to the challenges Disney has encountered in pulling everything together. However, our sources indicated the goal is to have it ready and released before Star Wars Episode VII is released in theaters.

Now that the Mouse holds the reigns, I wonder if it goes in the vault after a limited time. It won't be cheap either.

Maybe. I just saw a used copy of the Beauty and the Beast DVD for $70 at Half Price Books.

I think if you act right away you should be able to get your SW blu rays. They have to know the demand is going to be high...

Honestly, this is the only thing I wanted from Disney. The OT on Blu-Ray. Don't need more toys, don't need more movies. Just this. So I guess I'm happy.

Now that the Mouse holds the reigns, I wonder if it goes in the vault after a limited time. It won't be cheap either.

Maybe. I just saw a used copy of the Beauty and the Beast DVD for $70 at Half Price Books.

I think if you act right away you should be able to get your SW blu rays. They have to know the demand is going to be high...

Honestly, this is the only thing I wanted from Disney. The OT on Blu-Ray. Don't need more toys, don't need more movies. Just this. So I guess I'm happy.

I wonder how much money and care they're willing to shell out on the transfer, let alone any special features.

I wonder how much money and care they're willing to shell out on the transfer, let alone any special features.

Good question. I've been less and less impressed with Disney's handling of Marvel movie disks lately. Fewer special features, fewer disks, substituting bonus content for upcoming movie sneak-peeks (ie: commercials). I have two disk DVDs that can pack in over 5 hours of bonus content. With some of these Disney bly-rays, we maybe get one hour.

And since it's Star Wars, they know they have us by the balls no matter what. They could do a bare bones disk for each movie and charge $20 a pop and people would still pay. But I'm getting ahead of myself there. I'll just hope for the best.

it's about time! i knew disney would do this though at some point. they cant pass up the chance to snag another buck.

substituting bonus content for upcoming movie sneak-peeks (ie: commercials)

Oh God...that #$## is insufferable...especially from Disney.

and dont forget almost 30 seconds of intro before the plugs:

And possibly another 30 seconds of pander before we get to "A long time ago...":

We must see the name "DISNEY" at least 50 times before the feature starts. Wonder if they'll try and slip in any hidden Mickey's now that they hold the reigns

image001c.jpg

it's about time! i knew disney would do this though at some point. they cant pass up the chance to snag another buck.

Eh, call it what you will. Is this a money grab? I don't really care. Disney is a business and the reason they spent billions to buy the property was to make a profit on merchandise. It's what every business does, large or small. This particular product is one that a lot of people have been calling for and one that George was ready to go to the grave before giving to us.