X-Men: Apocalypse

yojoebro82

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/22/7876027/xmen-apocalypse-casting-storm-cyclops-jean-grey

The only one I know is Turner who is in Game of Thrones (of course, her having free time to do X-Men may very well mean she's killed off in that show, but I've kind of given up trying to stay free of GOT spoilers, so whatever).

Having very little knowledge of these kids and seeing how they at least look the part, I say so far so good. Of course, my favorite part of any geek movie casting reveal is always the immediate criticism from fans, so let 'er rip!

Looking forward to a fresh start for my favorite superhero team at the movies. Now I'm just hoping that they're all going to wear actual superhero costumes!

• 2 months later...

so far, this movie is sounding pretty darn good. i've liked the last two x movies, so lets hope this one is even better! i'm excited to see more quicksilver, a younger nightcrawler, and the mighty apoc!

"Now, he’s dressed like a kid from the ‘80s — when the film is set — with a much more modern jacket and corduroy pants."

Huh. I came up in the '80's. I remember guys with perms, acid-washed jeans, high-tops, parachute pants, long T-shirts, and Thriller jackets. I don't remember anyone dressing like this.

post-6101-0-92672000-1430166018_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

http://marvelousnews.com/news.php?catid=266&itemid=18845

Seriously? It took them this long to come up with Olivia Munn for Psylocke?

Talk about being born for a role!

This is going to be the X-Men we've all been waiting for. I've seen nothing but good news so far.

Let's hope the good news extends to the merchandising end of things so we can finally get some action figures.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now that there are finally superhero costumes in an X-Men movie, action figures will be a must!

I'm expecting Marvel to give us a hearty 6" figure line a-la this summer's Fantastic Four movie.

............................................................................... :unsure:....................................................................................

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
I finally saw it. It was not as good as DOFP but IMO, DOFP was probably the best X-Men movie. Not only did it handle the time travel story well (something that could have easily turned into a big cluster f...) but it was a coup in that it reset the playground for the X-Men after some really dumb choices were made. So with Apocalypse, I was not expecting DOFP.

On to my Apocalypse likes:

Good action with mainstay X-Men. X-Men that you care about. Seeing them onscreen and acting as a team, playing off each other, fighting alongside each other. Yep, this is what I wanted. Jean, Cyclops (finally given something to do besides play off Wolverine, get captured, and die), Nightcrawler, Quicksilver, Beast and more all get some good screen time.

Poe Dameron was good as Apocalypse and seeing him assemble his 4 horsemen was neat. He was good as the big bad.

Jean and Apocalypse's showdown was bad ass.

Psylocke was everything I expected she would be: good looking muscle.

My wife never like Storm because she doesn't like Hale Berry. She liked this Storm, though.

Another neat Quicksilver scene.

Awesome Wolverine cameo.

Seeing the team together in a close representation of unique, individual X-Men costumes (albeit at the END of the movie) was fun. We're getting there. Slowly but surely.

Gripes:

Too long.

The part with Striker did not need to be in there. You would have had the exact same story without it. However, that would have meant no awesome Wolverine cameo. So as an X-Men fan who loves seeing these characters, I will happily take that trade-off. If I was a highbrow movie critic, this would great ammo for me.

Moira also did not need to be in the movie.

Mystique and Beast should have been blue the whole time. I'm sure Lawrence griped about being painted all the time and Fox bowed to her star power. This is a character that is proud of who she is...(However, I am grateful that this did not turn into the Jennifer Lawrence vehicle that some of the advertisements made it out to be).

There was character overload but most of the characters being there are justifiable and they were all handled well.

That's that. I have to say, these reviews spouting the phrases "Franchise killer" and "Everything that is wrong with super hero movies" are not even close to accurate. Even taking into account all its faults, heck even if you don't LIKE the movie, I don't see how you justify those claims. It makes me start to believe what I hear about Disney paying critics to write bad reviews. It's a solid X-Men movie.