TNI Forums: Anyone else into the old 12" Kenner/Hasbro dolls? - TNI Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone else into the old 12" Kenner/Hasbro dolls?

#1 User is offline   yojoebro82 

• Baroness
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:28 PM

I have a select few from the 90s and I think they hold up pretty well.

I have the electronic Darth Vader that I love! You can arrange his soft goods stuff to look like A New Hope Darth or ESB/ROTJ Darth, he's got a 2 piece, removable helmet with a really good Shaw likeness underneath, and sound effects that sound just like the movie!

The 12" scale Yoda might be one of the best Yoda likenesses available in plastic.

I also like the real fur on the 12" Chewbacca.

The best part is these guys are relatively cheep (if you're like me and can't afford a Hot Toys doll). Yeah, yeah, the Luke and Han likenesses are not exactly spot-on, but they're passable. I own the above three figures plus slave Leia and Darth Maul. I have an itch to hit up ebay and get a couple more....

#2 User is offline   Devilbat 

• "What are you prepared to do?"

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:04 PM

Yeah, I have a soft spot in my heart for the old Kenner POTF2 stuff, even the twelve-inchers. They have a distinct vintage Kenner-esque look and feel to them. I was never crazy about that electronic Vader though. I always preferred the first release. The former always seemed to have an oddly-shaped mask that seemed to stick out at a very odd angle. But the rest of him was pretty neat, I'll admit..

I'd personally like to get another 12-inch ANH Han Solo, and I love the Palpatine from that line. I even have the Sideshow version, and I think that Kenner one holds up quite well in comparison. Another one I'd like to have back is the Episode I Obi-Wan. I always thought that one was very nice, along with Darth Maul. Geeze yojoe...you're gonna talk me right into getting back into this line. (lol)

#3 User is offline   Bespin refugee 

• http://jasonshoemaker.deviantart.com/
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:27 AM

I collected the first few assortments of the Collector Series; for me, it was like a continuation/upgrade of the vintage 12" line. I somehow missed Han the first time, so, I made up for it the second time around, I even bought 2 of Han and Boba to open. While there obviously improvements from the vintage line, I was a little disappointed in the articulation and loose handgrips for weapons (from the same company that made G.I.Joe?!). I was a sucker for completion for a while, I even had the 2 hair color Lukes and Tusken Raider accessories, lol. but, I think I quit collecting around the 'Hoth' wave. I stiil bought a few of the exclusives; Greedo, Han & Luke in Stormtrooper Disguise, and Emperor/Royal Guard, as well as R2, Yoda, Mace, Count Dooku, and the OTC Boba Fett.
I wonder how these new 5 poa 12" compare to the vinage figs? The Clone Trooper may have more articulation than the vintage Stormtrooper, lol; although, Vader appears to be the same height.

#4 User is offline   yojoebro82 

• Baroness

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:38 AM

View PostBespin refugee, on 12 February 2014 - 01:27 AM, said:

I was a sucker for completion for a while,

I wonder how these new 5 poa 12" compare to the vinage figs?

That was an easy time to be suckered into being a completist. It was that time in the 90s JUST before Episode I and the merchandising onslaught had not quite begun yet.

If you're talking about those hunks of stiff-as-a-board plastic figures that Hasbro likes to do now, I'm guessing they don't hold up too well...

#5 User is offline   Bespin refugee 

• http://jasonshoemaker.deviantart.com/
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

View Postyojoebro82, on 12 February 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

View PostBespin refugee, on 12 February 2014 - 01:27 AM, said:

I wonder how these new 5 poa 12" compare to the vinage figs?
If you're talking about those hunks of stiff-as-a-board plastic figures that Hasbro likes to do now, I'm guessing they don't hold up too well...
Yeah, the Anakin & Vader look like an extension of the Gentle Giant 12" Kenner line. I should've specified, new 4 poa Clone Trooper vs vintage Stormtrooper; of course, the Collector Series/OTC Stortrooper/ E2 Clone Trooper beat them both );

#6 User is offline   JoeRhyno 

• Scarlet
  • Group: Admin

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

I used to have them all. I loved them, then sideshow started and I was like... how am I going to afford these??? Around that time, I started cutting back and selling stuff and I sold them all. I still have a Lando and Ackbar... I think that's it. Oh, I still have the original Vader too.

I still want to hunt down a nice crispy white vintage stormtrooper and the newer clone trooper and put them on my bookshelf together.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us