Rise of Cobra Cobra Commander figure

die fighting x

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think terrible sums up that action figure!

I mean if it at least attempted to look like Cobra Commander than maybe I would have given it the benefit of the doubt.

I like it. It's an interesting new spin on him.

Yuck, looks like a really lame cross between a pimp and a toxo viper. I understand they shied away from the hood because of the KKK similarity, but this doesn't cut the mustard at all.

I am holding out hope for the movie but more and more its looking like it will blow Van Helsing out of the water in the crap category.

:rolleyes:

I absolutely love how the article posted on the main page is cited at 3:13PM yet I didn't post this until 3:52PM.

Whatever, I'm used to not receiving credit around here by now.

As for the figure; The weapons are ridiculously over-sized but its nice to see the original Commander's gun included. Oh, and nice cobra accessory. CC's looking like a Bond villain now, sitting there in a chair, stroking his snake. Oh crap, no that's not an innuendo. You're all filthy.

As usual you some of you are over reacting! this figure from what i can see of it reminds me of an update on the battle armor version of cobra commander ( http://www.yojoe.com/action/08/agu/cobracommander28.shtml ), which is the one i figured they would use when making ther design for his costume!

Now I am just as much of an 80's fanboy as the rest of you, in fact i was born the year the cartoon version first aired on television! but lets face facts folks the hooded CC ( http://www.yojoe.com/action/08/images/cobr...r35_large.shtml )would have looked too gay in reality, flip-floppy fabric would have turned out to be a cinematic joke! and as for the other verion where the helmut face plate completely covers his face ( http://www.yojoe.com/action/07/agu/cobracommander26.shtml ), lets just say its hard for an actor to show range of emotion through a smooth-featureless mask!

in my imagining of how the film will go this is pretty spot on! we have to remember the failing of street fighter the movie, and mortal combat annihilation... sometimes sticking to the original fan loved project can prove a deep devestating in the box-office numbers!

to quote Wolverine, "what did you expect yellow spandex?" @firedevil@

We knew Snake Eyes has that disfigured look from the Marvel gijoe comics and now the commander himself of rise of cobra has the similar look as snake eyes did in comics. unlike any other CC versions from comics and cartoons.

Um, actually, in the cartoon, Cobra Commander was disfigured... There is a scene in one episode where Destro walks in on him eating and is obviously disgusted by the sight. Then in the animated movie, when it is revelaed he was part of Cobra-La, they show his face as being disfigured, as well. Granted, the whole Cobra-La thing would be a joke in a live-action movie, but why wouldn't we accept a disfigured Cobra Commander?

My big concern on this is that, if he's disfigured to such a degree, is the mask a breathing aparatus (and therefore an excuse for him to have that sibilant speech pattern)? Otherwise why wear a clear mask over disfigurement like that?

...but lets face facts folks the hooded CC ( http://www.yojoe.com/action/08/images/cobr...r35_large.shtml )would have looked too gay in reality, flip-floppy fabric would have turned out to be a cinematic joke!

There are real-life precedents for hooded villains that hardly look "gay" or like a "cinematic joke." There have been many actual hooded terrorists who looked pretty formidable and enigmatic. Let's also not forget the KKK, who's hooded uniforms were one of the reasons the PC-minded producers of this flea-bitten dog of a movie chose to steer away from the hooded look.

This raises however a larger issue which has dogged all of the seemingly bad creative decision throughout the production of this flick. Repeatedly, we've heard where a particular look or outfit has been discarded for being too stupid, cheesy, or ...God forbid... "too comic book." What always stuns me is that these classic, recognizable looks often get abandoned in favor of something that is just as equally if not more ridiculous and garish. Cobra Commander's blue hood is deemed ridiculous or childish but this overdesigned transparent mask with huge tubes pouring out of it seem far more credible?!? If anything, this figure looks far more Doctor Doom-ish than the hooded look ever did!

...and as for the other verion where the helmut face plate completely covers his face ( http://www.yojoe.com/action/07/agu/cobracommander26.shtml ), lets just say its hard for an actor to show range of emotion through a smooth-featureless mask!

[/b][/font]

This is called "Tobey Maguire Syndrome." An actor opts to play a masked character but doesn't want to be restricted in the use of his facial features so the masked is redesigned, abandoned, or as in Maguire's case, torn off every five minutes. My response to this is "Tough to the actor!" If the character is masked, you're going to be wearing a mask! Learn to emote through mime and body language.

Besides... Darth Vader seemed to come across convincingly.

This movie has earned every drop of ill-will it has received. I've never seen a movie go so far out of its way to alienate and offend its own fanbase.

As usual you some of you are over reacting! this figure from what i can see of it reminds me of an update on the battle armor version of cobra commander ( http://www.yojoe.com/action/08/agu/cobracommander28.shtml ), which is the one i figured they would use when making ther design for his costume!

Now I am just as much of an 80's fanboy as the rest of you, in fact i was born the year the cartoon version first aired on television! but lets face facts folks the hooded CC ( http://www.yojoe.com/action/08/images/cobr...r35_large.shtml )would have looked too gay in reality, flip-floppy fabric would have turned out to be a cinematic joke! and as for the other verion where the helmut face plate completely covers his face ( http://www.yojoe.com/action/07/agu/cobracommander26.shtml ), lets just say its hard for an actor to show range of emotion through a smooth-featureless mask!

in my imagining of how the film will go this is pretty spot on! we have to remember the failing of street fighter the movie, and mortal combat annihilation... sometimes sticking to the original fan loved project can prove a deep devestating in the box-office numbers!

to quote Wolverine, "what did you expect yellow spandex?" @firedevil@

Using Street Fighter The Movie as part of your argument was not a good idea...

Hate it.

But

If he dons the Blue mask by the end of the movie then ill be okay with it.

Im glad we got the 25th figures cuz these suck. Im still gonna go and TRY to Enjoy the movie.