• You cannot reply to this topic

Episode VII: 'The Force Awakens' Discussion Thread

#351 User is offline   yojoebro82 

• Green Goblin
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:43 AM

View Postfeatofstrength, on 02 January 2015 - 10:37 PM, said:

View Postyojoebro82, on 02 January 2015 - 10:15 PM, said:

Only a few more months of hearing the word "leaks" in every sentence having to do with Episode 7.

Yeah, then the Mouse gets to "leak" officially, non-stop into our ears and eyes.

They're going to open the flood gates. That's for sure. But no other company would handle it any differently or more benevolently. You don't spend billions buying the most popular geek franchise ever and not try to make a profit off of it. You're going to get the sequels, the spin-offs, the merchandise no matter who buys it.

It's either that or George keeps it and sits on it to do God knows what.

I just get really tired of hearing the word "leaks". To me that implies that this is information that Disney doesn't want us to have and it was somehow stolen and they are beside themselves with worry that we're seeing something they don't want us to see. To me the more likely case is that something is "leaked" because they want it out there for the attention and they want us to think it's something secret that shouldn't be seen. Kind of like a Kardashian sex tape....

We've seen very little to nothing of Star Wars 7 that wan't meant to be seen.

#352 User is offline   Devilbat 

• "Where left lightsaber did I?"

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:04 PM

Well, I personally don't want to see or find out too much about it before the final product arrives in theaters. It does indeed "spoil" the surprise of seeing things the very first time for me.

#353 User is offline   featofstrength 

• Plundarian Warbot

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:09 PM

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter!"
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/69934

#354 User is offline   yojoebro82 

• Green Goblin

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:43 PM

View Postfeatofstrength, on 05 January 2015 - 09:09 PM, said:

I stopped reading after, "what if I told you there was a juicy new rumor " @stormtrooper@

#355 User is offline   Devilbat 

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:34 AM

featofstrength, on 05 January 2015 - 09:09 PM, said:

Bah...Star Wars was never about the action sequences or choreographed fighting...it was about a classic and subtle yet timeless story that was only enhanced by the fantastic creatures, wonderfully-acted human characters, and clever special-effects that made a fun romp of a series of films. If I want The Matrix, I'll watch The Matrix. Star Wars doesn't need to keep up with anything else...it needs to re-establish the standard it set in the first place.

#356 User is offline   featofstrength 

• Plundarian Warbot

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:18 AM

Devilbat, on 06 January 2015 - 01:34 AM, said:

Bah...Star Wars was never about the action sequences or choreographed fighting...it was about a classic and subtle yet timeless story that was only enhanced by the fantastic creatures, wonderfully-acted human characters, and clever special-effects that made a fun romp of a series of films. If I want The Matrix, I'll watch The Matrix. Star Wars doesn't need to keep up with anything else...it needs to re-establish the standard it set in the first place.

But...martial arts...er...Darth Maul...everyone loves Darth Maul. And this could be like Darth Maul times 3!!! Or 3,000!!!

#357 User is offline   hamsterboy 

• Princess Liea

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:52 PM

They say in the article it's good news. How exactly is that good news?

#358 User is offline   yojoebro82 

• Green Goblin

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

So they hire actors that are "too young" or "too old" or "too main-stream". One of the Stormtroopers is "too black". One of the droids it "too round". Now they hire stunt men that are too.....um...martial-artsy? I guess?

So is that it? Has the cast been completely scrutinized yet?

#359 User is offline   Jmacq1 

• Cobra Officer

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:24 AM

View PostDevilbat, on 06 January 2015 - 01:34 AM, said:

Much of what you say is right, but there's nothing subtle about the Star Wars story. Further, folks need to recall that this isn't 1977 anymore. The bulk of moviegoing audiences (which tends to be younger than many old-school Star Wars fans) have different tastes now. If you don't cater somewhat to those tastes, your movie is likely to underperform if not bomb. Now, Star Wars isn't likely to bomb regardless, but that doesn't mean "Do everything exactly like they did it (almost) forty years ago."

Nevermind that Star Wars was VERY much about action sequences...just not the kinds of action sequences that tend to involve martial arts fights: The Escape from the Death Star. The Trench Run. The Battle of Hoth and the Asteroid Field Chase. etc... etc... (And a few Lightsaber duels too). These all had plenty of choreography to them. Star Wars was inspired by the serials of George Lucas' youth, which had plenty of action to them, and certainly were anything but subtle stories.

I always find it a bit amusing that so many people think that a Lightsaber Duel should never move beyond standard stage-fighting (which is pretty much what all the OT lightsaber duels were). Do you think Star Wars would be just as successful if no blaster was ever fired or no lightsaber ever clashed?

But beyond that, we have no idea what these guys will be doing in the movie, or even if the rumor has any truth to it whatsoever or not. A little early to get up in arms about it.

View Posthamsterboy, on 06 January 2015 - 03:52 PM, said:

They say in the article it's good news. How exactly is that good news?

Go watch The Raid and/or The Raid 2.

These guys are some of the best action stars nobody has heard of (because they're not English-language performers) out there.

Seriously though, regardless of your feelings on these guys maybe (but just as likely not) being in Episode VII in some capacity, The Raid and the Raid 2 are some of the best martial-arts action movies in decades. Well worth checking out.

View Postyojoebro82, on 06 January 2015 - 07:26 PM, said:

So they hire actors that are "too young" or "too old" or "too main-stream". One of the Stormtroopers is "too black". One of the droids it "too round". Now they hire stunt men that are too.....um...martial-artsy? I guess?

So is that it? Has the cast been completely scrutinized yet?

I'm sure there'll be more to come. It's going to be the prequels all over again: No matter how good or bad the final product is, there will be a legion of die-hard "fans" that will always find it completely lacking compared to the movie they made up in their heads/"What I would have done if I had absolute power over the production of this movie and the entirety of Hollywood and an unlimited budget was...."

(Don't mistake me, the Prequels were horribly flawed in many ways, I'm just noting that by the time Episode I hit, there was pretty much no way it could live up to the hype in the minds of many. I am confident Episode VII will be considered "better" than any of the Prequels when all is said and done. Hopefully much better, but at the bare minimum "better.")

#360 User is offline   Devilbat 

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:07 PM

I don't mean to be a wet blanket. You wouldn't know it necessarily from my comments, but I'm actually excited and very hopeful about Episode VII. I've wanted to see a true Star Wars sequel ever since George Lucas mentioned the remote possibility way back in an old issue of Starlog Magazine not long after Jedi so many years ago. To paraphrase the Grail knight in The Last Crusade, that's a long time to wait. (lol) I just don't want to see the rich legacy of the original Star Wars films to be further sullied by an injection of what passes as modern film-making and storytelling just for the sake of mass appeal, popularity, and maximum profit. Maybe I'm just an old fogey, but I'd sure hate to see the new film succumb to the need to make a "modern" take on Star Wars, one that panders to the video-game-obsessed/Mountain-Dew/Red-Bull-fueled/hyperactive generation that has the attention span of a squirrel...

I guess I just need to keep my mouth shut, as it were, until the movie actually comes out, because no matter how many assumptions we make, or how many logical observations and infrerrences we come up with, we simply won't know anything for sure until the final film arrives in theaters. I really want it to be good, I just find myself wary I guess.

#361 User is offline   hamsterboy 

• Princess Liea

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:28 PM

Nothing wrong with that. I don't know why they have to think that way. I guess they didn't learn from the LotR/Hobbit movies. Those movies proved you don't always need all of that stuff to work.

#362 User is offline   Jmacq1 

• Cobra Officer

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:53 AM

View PostDevilbat, on 07 January 2015 - 07:07 PM, said:

I don't mean to be a wet blanket. You wouldn't know it necessarily from my comments, but I'm actually excited and very hopeful about Episode VII. I've wanted to see a true Star Wars sequel ever since George Lucas mentioned the remote possibility way back in an old issue of Starlog Magazine not long after Jedi so many years ago. To paraphrase the Grail knight in The Last Crusade, that's a long time to wait. (lol) I just don't want to see the rich legacy of the original Star Wars films to be further sullied by an injection of what passes as modern film-making and storytelling just for the sake of mass appeal, popularity, and maximum profit. Maybe I'm just an old fogey, but I'd sure hate to see the new film succumb to the need to make a "modern" take on Star Wars, one that panders to the video-game-obsessed/Mountain-Dew/Red-Bull-fueled/hyperactive generation that has the attention span of a squirrel...

I guess I just need to keep my mouth shut, as it were, until the movie actually comes out, because no matter how many assumptions we make, or how many logical observations and infrerrences we come up with, we simply won't know anything for sure until the final film arrives in theaters. I really want it to be good, I just find myself wary I guess.

We all want it to be good.

For what it's worth, I think the chances are high that the OT purists/prequel haters (not always the same thing) will probably be pleased with the movie. I think it will heavily draw from the Original Trilogy and include just enough Prequel-era stuff to acknowledge that they happened but move right along.

But my chief worry is that they're going to lean so heavily on the Original Trilogy imagery and callbacks that the new trilogy will barely even feel like it has any identity of its own, if that makes sense? That by trying so fervently to "win back" the old-school fans and redeem the reputation of the franchise after the prequels that they'll overcompensate to the point that it will hurt the new trilogy's story and presentation. Or make it all feel so derivative that it moves past "comforting nostalgia" and into "kind of annoying/boring, really."

I want the new trilogy to be good, but I also don't want it to be afraid to take some risks and be different from both the Prequels and the OT in some ways.

#363 User is offline   featofstrength 

• Plundarian Warbot

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:20 AM

View PostJmacq1, on 08 January 2015 - 08:53 AM, said:

But my chief worry is that they're going to lean so heavily on the Original Trilogy imagery and callbacks that the new trilogy will barely even feel like it has any identity of its own, if that makes sense?

I would rather it focus on Luke Skywalker or omit the original characters outright. I could ignore these films altogether if they had set it in the future of the same universe...but that would require some thought from genuine original filmmakers.

#364 User is offline   Jmacq1 

• Cobra Officer

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:56 AM

View Postfeatofstrength, on 08 January 2015 - 09:20 AM, said:

But my chief worry is that they're going to lean so heavily on the Original Trilogy imagery and callbacks that the new trilogy will barely even feel like it has any identity of its own, if that makes sense?

I would rather it focus on Luke Skywalker or omit the original characters outright. I could ignore these films altogether if they had set it in the future of the same universe...but that would require some thought from genuine original filmmakers.

So basically you never want the Star Wars franchise to move forward at all, and don't want the Sequel Trilogy to have its' own identity?

Nothing like being completely stagnant to bring in those viewers!

It's like some people don't think movies should be a for-profit business.

#365 User is offline   featofstrength 

• Plundarian Warbot

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:12 PM

View PostJmacq1, on 08 January 2015 - 10:56 AM, said:

View Postfeatofstrength, on 08 January 2015 - 09:20 AM, said:

So basically you never want the Star Wars franchise to move forward at all, and don't want the Sequel Trilogy to have its' own identity?

Nothing like being completely stagnant to bring in those viewers!

It's like some people don't think movies should be a for-profit business.

???

How is playing with new characters/new ideas in the same universe but without familiar characters stagnant?

All Im saying is, a true sequel would still have Luke Skywalker as the focal character. This passing the torch business...we're getting reheated leftovers with some gravy on top to fight the staleness.

#366 User is offline   Devilbat 

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:25 PM

View PostDevilbat, on 07 January 2015 - 07:07 PM, said:

We all want it to be good.

For what it's worth, I think the chances are high that the OT purists/prequel haters (not always the same thing) will probably be pleased with the movie. I think it will heavily draw from the Original Trilogy and include just enough Prequel-era stuff to acknowledge that they happened but move right along.

But my chief worry is that they're going to lean so heavily on the Original Trilogy imagery and callbacks that the new trilogy will barely even feel like it has any identity of its own, if that makes sense? That by trying so fervently to "win back" the old-school fans and redeem the reputation of the franchise after the prequels that they'll overcompensate to the point that it will hurt the new trilogy's story and presentation. Or make it all feel so derivative that it moves past "comforting nostalgia" and into "kind of annoying/boring, really."

I want the new trilogy to be good, but I also don't want it to be afraid to take some risks and be different from both the Prequels and the OT in some ways.

Okay...I think I see where you're coming from now. I had never thought about it like that before, but it makes perfect sense; you don't want J.J. Abrams and Co. to overcompensate for the backlash from the prequels. I get it, yes. That could also happen, and I think what we all want is something in the middle...a great story that respects and draws on what came before, yet it's new, exciting, and different enough to stand on its own as a refreshing continuation of a beloved property. Abrams seemed to do just that with the Star Trek franchise, so hopefully his passion for Star Wars will translate even better with these new sequels.

#367 User is offline   Bespin refugee 

• http://jasonshoemaker.deviantart.com/
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:17 PM

First Star Wars: The Force Awakens Banner Sighted

#368 User is offline   featofstrength 

• Plundarian Warbot

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:37 PM

Ugh...the "flashback" rumors again...
http://www.mintinbox...TFA_conceptart/
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us