Toy Fair 2009: G.I.Joe Series 5 Classic Vehicles Update

The Wire

I was really looking forward to this wave. I'm hoping it gets released. :)

If we see this before the movie i'd be really suprised as they are going to want the inclusion of outback and the cobra pilot to help sell the 7 packs. I'd honestly be surprised if when we do see them, or if we do, they are the same as the proto pics we've seen.

man.. I know that the first series of vehicles didn't meet Hasbro's expectations, but that is because they put out so much of them.

I mean, these things were HOT for the first month, you couldn't find them.. and after that they still sold well.

Unfortunately, they kept getting more and more.. and of course there are some leftovers.

then they went with the lackluster Shark, never a popular vehicle among fans, but somehow always reproduced...

Series 3 again sold well enough with the Firebat.. but it was still mixed in with wave 1 junk.

then Series 4 barely dropped.. and they were some of the best (Water Moccasin and Skyhawk).. I mean fans LOVE these, but the stores still have extra crap from the earlier series.

Now series 5 was again going to be a winner, but stores have lost faith because they just see the Vehicle series hasn't done so well.

All of this due to Hasbro's mishandling the releases of these.. C'mon man, you aint Mattel, Hasbro! Don't kill your own stuff with poor planning.

Fans want these (I want at least 5 Stingers...)

I know what you mean! I've been lucky enough to get at least one of each vehicle so far, but even now, I can walk into just about any store and find wave 1 items still there.

If you guys think it is bad down there. Try up here.

In Canada, some genius decided that wave 1 should be only the HISS and Armadillo/Chariot. No VAMP or RAM/Flight Pod. So guess what? They were over ordered, and so to this day you can go to any TRU or Walmart and find at least 3 or 4 vehicles from wave 1.

That also meant Canada didn't see jack-s### from the remaining waves.

I'm serious pissed that Hasbro Canada made such a dumb move. I'm hoping someone at least got their hands slapped for that blunder.

I know what you mean! I've been lucky enough to get at least one of each vehicle so far, but even now, I can walk into just about any store and find wave 1 items still there.

If you guys think it is bad down there. Try up here.

In Canada, some genius decided that wave 1 should be only the HISS and Armadillo/Chariot. No VAMP or RAM/Flight Pod. So guess what? They were over ordered, and so to this day you can go to any TRU or Walmart and find at least 3 or 4 vehicles from wave 1.

That also meant Canada didn't see jack-s### from the remaining waves.

I'm serious pissed that Hasbro Canada made such a dumb move. I'm hoping someone at least got their hands slapped for that blunder.

Sorry to hear about your luck.

I sense more exclusives...

As long as they aren't target...

I don't know about that. I usually find their exclusives. Now Wal-Mart on the other hand.....

Does Wal-Mart even do exclusives? TRU exclusives I can usually find, but for all the Target stores I have around, I rarely EVER find the G.I.Joe exclusives they get unless they're like the $70 brand of stuff. In essence...Target exclusives mean bad news for me.

Exactly, I want a Stingger bad!! So that is good if they are back on!! But the other I can live without, unless they put someon else besides Outback in there i want. I am getting Outback in the 7pack.

Draven

This is good news!

Maybe not, on other forums people are claiming these to be online only. @grumpy@

That is what I fear. But I have to think that the big stores like Target, Walmart, TrU, etc have a hell of a lot more buying power than the onlines. Or, at very least, the same.

This is good news!

Maybe not, on other forums people are claiming these to be online only. @grumpy@

That is what I fear. But I have to think that the big stores like Target, Walmart, TrU, etc have a hell of a lot more buying power than the onlines. Or, at very least, the same.

Of course they have more buying power.

HOWEVER - If these were coming out at mass retail (Walmart, Target, TRU, etc...) then chances are they would have been shown or at least mentioned in Hasbro's Toy Fair presentations just a week and a half ago.

I suspect these might be coming to store shelves, but likely not at all the major retailers. I think it's possible that one or maybe two of the major retailers (Target and TRU, maybe?) agreed to pick some of these up, but at a level just below Hasbro's normal "minimum production" level. So Hasbro bumps it up to their "minimum production" and offers the remainder to the e-tailers. Possibly based on enthusiastic reaction to the Cobra Island 7-packs (making them believe the etailers will order in big enough numbers to warrant the production run).

I can't imagine Wal-Mart will be carrying these, given how many of their stores have stopped carrying anything but single-cards, comic-packs, and combat heroes. In fact I suspect Wal-Mart's refusal was the thing that caused it to be cancelled in the first place.

Of course, maybe it is just online only, and just Hasbro trying to recoup what little they can on the new molding used in these sets with the realization that they might not be able to get these out particularly soon otherwise, and there's enough apparent demand to do a limited production run.