Star Wars: Rebels Figure Line

Bespin refugee

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

is it an animation choice that this one is so squat, or is this an previously unseen generation of squat astromechs?

Any more squat and you risk looking like a rip-off or a rip-off:

vincent3.jpg

sorry, Vincent...I do love you.

I know its small but how do you see it as a ripoff?

because it looks like a squat cartoon astromech that has not been seen in any continuity outside of a concept painting, makes it look like it's a rip-off of Vincent, who is a rip-off of R2-D2 in general. If it were not a cartoon, it would probably resemble the said concepts and no comparison would be made, but the more softened, rounded form and bright color scheme...ah, im wasting my breath, here's what's important: THEY'RE OUT OF IDEAS.

They said from the beginning that a lot of the design of the show would be taken from McQuarrie's original paintings. This droid is very similar to the original R2 design, except for the different dome style. So please, try to explain how it's a rip-off of Vincent? If anything, Vincent is a rip-off of the original concept this is based on.

Seriously, all you ever seem to do is harp on anything new in SW.

because it looks like a squat cartoon astromech that has not been seen in any continuity outside of a concept painting, makes it look like it's a rip-off of Vincent, who is a rip-off of R2-D2 in general. If it were not a cartoon, it would probably resemble the said concepts and no comparison would be made, but the more softened, rounded form and bright color scheme...ah, im wasting my breath, here's what's important: THEY'RE OUT OF IDEAS.

I hardly think Lucasfilm and/or Disney care if it looks like a rip-off of Vincent from The Black Hole. There's probably what...four other people on the planet that even remember that film? (lol) I would doubt that anything even remotely associated with it even registers as a blip on the radar of the collective pop-culture consciousness, not to mention the younger crowd that's never even heard of The Black Hole. So who cares really, no offense of course...

They said from the beginning that a lot of the design of the show would be taken from McQuarrie's original paintings. This droid is very similar to the original R2 design, except for the different dome style. So please, try to explain how it's a rip-off of Vincent? If anything, Vincent is a rip-off of the original concept this is based on.

EXACTLY!

Both are owned by Disney now. Heck, I wouldn't mind a Vincent camo somewhere just so I could get a figure.

YES! And Maximillian...who kind of looks like concept IG-88

BlackHole95.jpg

for those who havent seen it: SEE IT. Nerds think Revenge of the Sith is Dark? Re-animated corpses and robot Hell...in a Disney movie!

EXACTLY!

I dont know how I can respond to an open forum, 2 moderator gangbang without getting warnings or banned. Any retort, no matter how collected an opinion, is written off as "openly arguing with a moderator."

Im still going to #@$#@ about SW...but when I see something I like about new SW I will let you know. one person disagrees with something you like...ignore it?

And Maximillian...who kind of looks like concept IG-88

BlackHole95.jpg

for those who havent seen it: SEE IT. Nerds think Revenge of the Sith is Dark? Re-animated corpses and robot Hell...in a Disney movie!

Hey feat...I was being facetious and ribbin' ya a little, but I have to admit to being one of the other four people that remember The Black Hole. (lol) It's actually one of my favorite Disney movies, a guilty pleasure, if you will. It's a cult classic, a sci-fi oddity that never quite caught on and enjoyed the same level of success as properties like Star Wars and Star Trek, of course. I do think with some rewriting and tweaking it could make for a great remake.

However, I will disagree with you when you say Lucasfilm is "out of ideas". I personally like that they're incorporating genuine McQuarrie designs and concepts for an previously-unexplored era in the Star Wars mythos. It lends some validity to Rebels by infusing the look and feel of early Star Wars concepts that in turn gave birth to George Lucas's vision to begin with. I'm terribly excited about it, and I love Chopper. Where you would say they're out of ideas, I say they're maintaining some consistency and continuity.

I'm terribly excited about it, and I love Chopper. Where you would say they're out of ideas, I say they're maintaining some consistency and continuity.

Yeah...so it was okay that they took an unused concept for an AT-AT and turned it into a Turbo Tank. Whatever...minor stuff.

consistency and continuity? you can have Chopper, but I have to offer up the Inquisitor again: 6 years before ANH, in a time where the force is remembered by few as a hokey old religion, Jedi are crazy old wizards, and lightsabers are relics of the past.

That Inquisitor guy looks interesting.

I guess I'm willing to give 5 POA Star Wars guys a chance just because 5 POA is a part of the rich history of Star Wars toys. I know not everyone will see that the same way, but it's what I think.

Of course, it all depends on their ability to craft a good STORY around these neat looking figs. If they can, great! If not, I'm not going to have time for it.

That's the whole thing about this Disney deal. We've heard plans. We've heard rumors. We've heard opinions on these plans and rumors. What we have not see from Disney is a FINAL PRODUCT. We don't know what they got. It's all still in the works. It might be good.

I'm terribly excited about it, and I love Chopper. Where you would say they're out of ideas, I say they're maintaining some consistency and continuity.

Yeah...so it was okay that they took an unused concept for an AT-AT and turned it into a Turbo Tank. Whatever...minor stuff.

consistency and continuity? you can have Chopper, but I have to offer up the Inquisitor again: 6 years before ANH, in a time where the force is remembered by few as a hokey old religion, Jedi are crazy old wizards, and lightsabers are relics of the past.

You may have a point with the Inquisitor character. The only reasoning I can think of behind him, other than the "Darth Maul" factor they're going for, is perhaps hunting down all of the Jedi that survived Order 66 became too big of a job for Vader alone. After all, Obi-Wan said in Episode IV that he "helped" the Empire hunt down the remaining Jedi. But that leads to another supposition: Could the few scattered Jedi have been enough of a problem that they needed yet another character to help hunt them all down? By the time we might see the events in Rebels, like you alluded to feat, there shouldn't be enough left to pose a problem. There should have been enough time pass without incident to create the whole attitude we see in Episode IV where the Force and the Jedi are referred to as an "ancient/hokey religion" and lightsabers are relics of a "more civilized age". You might have a point there, feat. I'll concede on that angle.

Too me it is a short astromech and last time I looked astromechs were only in the Star Wars universe.I don't think of Vincent he doesn't fly ...R2 did in the prequels but you say nothing on how R2 rips off Vincent there

pad

That's the whole thing about this Disney deal. We've heard plans. We've heard rumors. We've heard opinions on these plans and rumors. What we have not see from Disney is a FINAL PRODUCT. We don't know what they got. It's all still in the works. It might be good.

nah. pretty sure the Inquisitor tells us all we need to know about the future of SW...play it safe with the old crowd by crammimg in as much nostalgia as we can and pad it out by catering to the "drooling lightsaber fanatics."

pad

nah. pretty sure the Inquisitor tells us all we need to know about the future of SW...

It doesn't. And that just goes back to what I said. Disney gave us a small bit of info on some element of what they plan to do, then people will extrapolate whatever they want from that (be it positive or negative). We still don't have a finished work to judge. We don't know.

Also, remember, George Lucas didn't sell Star Wars to Michael Bay (there'd be real trouble then), it's Disney. By and large, they put out good product. Am I excited when I hear about Boba Fett solo films? No, because personally, I think he's way overrated. But there's no one Lucas could have sold this property to who's vision of what thing should be like will fit perfectly with mine or yours. It will be different, but that don't mean it will suck.