Would you care if the line dies. Why or why not?

I decided to browse the He-man.org forums to see if there were any talks or screen grabs about Toy Guru "losing it". Although I couldn't find any threads about Scott going ape***, I did stumbled across a thread of a poster urging other collectors who are on the fence or are no longer subbing to reconsider to help fans get their favorite characters made.

I find the plea a bit silly considering how subbing a line one more year would magically have all their favorite characters made. It is like the PR stunt Mattel pulled last year to get collectors to buy multiple subs to save the line. One poster on the forum noted that he would be heartbroken if the line ends before all the POP figures are made. Even if the MOTU sub ends, Mattel would still look for other ways to make more MOTUC figures - as others have pointed out. Regardless of the original toyline, I think it is a bit overdramatic to be heartbroken if a line of action figures have ended

The thread got me thinking if I would care if the line dies. Obviously, I wouldn't since after all, these are toys. . For instance, Ghostbusters fans might be getting an Ecto-1 despite that the GB subs had ended years ago. Besides, I can live if I don't get an MOTUC Ninjor figure. Even if I can't, I can always customize a Ninjor figure

With that said, I would like to hear other people's thoughts if they do or not care about the line dying.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped collecting the line a couple years ago because of the almost-100% focus of Mattel on pimping the subscriptions (the trend of copying vintage figures, like Buzz-Off, Roboto, etc., with no updates or improvements contributed). Still, MOTU is my favorite property (I like He-Man more than Batman or Wolverine!). I want to see as much MOTU product and exposure as possible. So I want MOTUC to continue. I still like talking about it and seeing the pictures even if I don't buy figures anymore. It would be unfortunate if the line died because it really is one of the best lines I've ever seen or collected. I wouldn't be "heartbroken" or sad or anything like that, but in toy terms, it would be disappointing.

Yeah, They are just toys... But to some fans, this is a wonderful collection of figures that represent their youth. They are also beautifully sculpted works of art.

Would I be hurt if the line ended? Yes and no.

Yes because as of right now, we have already amassed a pretty big collection that is incomplete. Why go this far only to stop now when we are almost done.?

No because I really want this line to just get finished and done with... because I'm just tired of the bullshit that is Mattel. For me, when the line is finally over, I will be able to just sit back and stare at my wonderful collection and not have to worry about it anymore. Right now it's not fun... when it's complete, the fun begins... for me anyway.

There are a few characters left, which needed to be released, and I hope they would be in the last couple of years before the line ends. Similar to DCUC and Toybiz's Marvel Legends, nothing lasts forever no matter how great they were.

On a collector's point of view, I think this is our last shot of ever getting a line this great from MOTUC, the fans of the series are at their late 20s to late 30s, we're an aging market . I dont think Mattel or any other company can pull something off like this ever again,. So if we missed the remaining unreleased characters, that's it.

I found a list of figures that I decided we're must haves for me. The list is in my phone and is dated April 2012. I made this list around the time that Thunder Punch He-Man was released but before Spikor was revealed (I know this because Spikor is on the list). The list contained the names of all vintage He-Man figures that were yet to be made. I did not include Meteorbs, Twistiod, or Roton. From that list of 28 figures only these remain unreleased or un-revealed:

Dragstor

Extendar

Flying Fists He-Man

Rio Blast

Multi-Bot

Terror Claws Skeletor

Tung Lashor

Blade

Blast Attak

Gwildor

Saurod

Ninjor

Sssqueeze

Total remaining: 13

Of these figures I consider Extendar, Rio Blast, Tung Lashor, Blade, Gwildor, Saurod, and Sssqueeze as absolutely essential. If you add in my desire to own an Eldor figure then that's only 8 figures I really want.

I want Two-Bad obviously but he is really the only figure revealed for 2014 that I'm really interested in. Modulok is probably going to be a pass for me. He was never one of my favorites and the $40 price tag is a little much for me. I'd rather have Goat Man than Modulok.

Matty says that all vintage characters will be finished by 2015. I'm interested in 8 remaining figures. There is no way they'll all come out in 2014. If I can't get these day of I can expect to pay upwards of $55-$60 for the figures I still want. Even if the figures are $60 each I'd still spend less on them than I would if I subbed just one more time. Realistically, most or all of them would be available day-of and I'd spend about $37, shipping included, on each. It doesn't make much financial sense for me to get the sub again. Especially since I could give a crap less about POP or NA. I don't want to buy a bunch of crap I don't want just to get the stuff that I do want.

That's the first point.

The second point is the fact that I've been saying for 2 years now that I can't wait for this line to be over because I'm sick of Mattel's tactics. This line is way more stressful than any toyline should ever be. I'm extremely grateful and elated to have these awesome toys on my shelves. This will likely go down as my favorite modern toy line. Ninety percent of these figures are incredible. It's almost like having a very rewarding job but hating your bullying boss. Eventually the money and the work no longer offsets the crap you have to put up with from your jerk of a boss. Mattel has used bullying tactics for a few years now to sell toys. You could almost liken it to an abusive husband. He hits his wife and then blames it on her. Mattel makes the line essentially sub only then blames the cherry pickers because they didn't buy stuff they didn't want.

And of course there is the most obnoxious, self-absorbed, worship seeking, entitled idiot Scott Neitlich. The sooner I can get to the day when I can stop hearing from this bozo the better off I'll be.

I've got an entire bookcase of figures in my display room with at least a dozen or so more on the way. Plus the Castle. In the words of Drago, "If (it) dies, (it) dies."

I stopped collecting the line a couple years ago because of the almost-100% focus of Mattel on pimping the subscriptions (the trend of copying vintage figures, like Buzz-Off, Roboto, etc., with no updates or improvements contributed). Still, MOTU is my favorite property (I like He-Man more than Batman or Wolverine!). I want to see as much MOTU product and exposure as possible. So I want MOTUC to continue. I still like talking about it and seeing the pictures even if I don't buy figures anymore. It would be unfortunate if the line died because it really is one of the best lines I've ever seen or collected. I wouldn't be "heartbroken" or sad or anything like that, but in toy terms, it would be disappointing.

I agree with the trend of copying the vintage 100 % for a few figures. The problem with that is that is what the fans wanted when they showed off the MOTUC He-man and them passing it off as a figure the 4HM did just for fun.

I would really like them to do 200x Skeletor or a 200x He-man with long hair like the 200x Battle Armor He-man NECA statue. In my opinion, I think the art style of the 200x is better than the MOTUC line in regards to proportions.

I would have mixed feelings personally. Even as a kid, Masters of the Universe was a toy line I only flirted with occaisionally, like I've been a closet fan of sorts all my life. I owned a handful of figures, and I watched the show a few times. My little brother was the real fan. He had many of the figures, Castle Grayskull, and several of the vehicles. So usually I'd just play with his stuff. But for many years I didn't consider myself a real MOTU fan, when in actuality, I've looked back on things, and I've come to realize I'm a much bigger fan than I previously believed.

Having said that, just like I was as a kid, I've been more devoted to other lines in recent years, like Star Wars, Transformers, and G.I. Joe. The same thing happened back in the day...I liked MOTU figures, I always liked the concept behind the toys, but other things just always took more precedence over them. So I'm not exactly what you would call a die-hard fan that buys a sub every year. I think I'm one of those casual fans that could have been die-hard had the new stuff been more readily available at retail for more reasonable prices.

If the line were to end, I'd probably just resort back to collecting other things, no big deal. But I feel as if I may be on the verge of getting really excited about this line, and it would be so unfortunate to get on-board at the tail-end of things, just as the line is ending. The recent Big Lots phenomenon has gotten me pretty excited, and it may go a long way in converting me as a MOTU collector. It would be a shame to hook new collectors and fans that way with discounted figures only to end things unceremoniously.

I'm getting to the point where I wouldn't care if the line died.

It's really the only current line of toys I have been collecting faithfully for the last two or three years, so in that sense, I would be sad to see it go. Even though there are only a handful of vintage figures left that I would like to see made, I'm still enjoying some of the more obscure stuff.

That said, the fact that we are getting SO MUCH of the obscure stuff is also making me evaluate the amount of money I'm spending on this line. Some of it's great, some of it's okay, and some of it is really "meh" to me. Paying $30+ for a figure you could care less to own, especially when it happens multiple times through the year, starts to weigh on your wallet a bit.

I'm still up in the air about even subscribing next year. I really want Two-Bad and Modulok, but I don't know if I want to make the financial commitment again based only on those two figures since Star Wars Black is coming, and I'm really excited about ALL of those figures...I would rather put my money into Star Wars. It's gonna get pretty spendy if I do subscribe to Club Eternia, and try to go all out on the 6" Star Wars line. At the same time, I really don't want to end up having many of the figures I still want from MOTUC to be released this next year, and then be stuck trying to buy them on eBay at inflated prices.

It's a tough call at this point...

I agree with the trend of copying the vintage 100 % for a few figures. The problem with that is that is what the fans wanted when they showed off the MOTUC He-man and them passing it off as a figure the 4HM did just for fun.

I would really like them to do 200x Skeletor or a 200x He-man with long hair like the 200x Battle Armor He-man NECA statue. In my opinion, I think the art style of the 200x is better than the MOTUC line in regards to proportions.

I'd like (love) to see a 200X Skeletor, 200X He-Man, and a 200X Faker like the staction that was shown and never released.

And you're right, fans (or some fans) wanted that, but they still upgraded/updated almost every figure somehow.

He-Man, for instance, didn't have brown boots and trunks originally; it was always red with an orange/yellow-orange belt. Most figures had something that took from 200X or somewhere else even though they were mostly "vintage flavor." But figures like Sy-Klone, Roboto, and Buzz-Off (just to name a few) were almost exact copies and came out looking bad or even ridiculous (Buzz-Off) because of it. They even started sculpting on the fake dials that Sy-Klone and Hurricane Hordak had for their action features back in the '80s. It just got out of control. Thankfully Fisto was released and showed Mattel and everyone else how important it was to update, and the Horsemen seemed to back off the vintage duplication and get the line back to what it started as: an updated line, not just a remake in larger scale for nostalgia's sake.

I wasn't aware you had stopped collecting a few years back, Eric. A bit ironic as well considering that I have you to thank for getting me into the line

in the firstplace(to which I still owe you btw ;)) But I see where you're coming from regarding Mattel strong arming fans/collectors into the subscriptions. I'm still persevering

with this line, which is odd to say since this is suppose to be an enjoyable hobby. Mattel seems hell bent on sucking all the joy out though. Hopefully

they can atleast finish off the vintage line in 2014 and 2015 and if it can continue past that point that would be grand also. It is afterall the definitive MOTU toyline

and one of the best toylines overall.

I want the line to continue just to get a few more figures I desire but the tactics mattel uses are getting really old. I am really on the fence about subscibing or going the second market route for next year. I will miss this line if it dies. Because the sculpts are awesome but no other toy company has stressed me out more than mattel with this line and Ghostbusters figures. I hope 2014 is the last year. I am still upset about having to get stupid Plundor this year. A character that I never even heard of before. I really hope they stop making the obscure characters and focus on characters that were in the vintage series. They should have shown the sub exclusive.

It's really the only current line of toys I have been collecting faithfully for the last two or three years, so in that sense, I would be sad to see it go. Even though there are only a handful of vintage figures left that I would like to see made, I'm still enjoying some of the more obscure stuff.

That said, the fact that we are getting SO MUCH of the obscure stuff is also making me evaluate the amount of money I'm spending on this line. Some of it's great, some of it's okay, and some of it is really "meh" to me. Paying $30+ for a figure you could care less to own, especially when it happens multiple times through the year, starts to weigh on your wallet a bit.

I'm still up in the air about even subscribing next year. I really want Two-Bad and Modulok, but I don't know if I want to make the financial commitment again based only on those two figures since Star Wars Black is coming, and I'm really excited about ALL of those figures...I would rather put my money into Star Wars. It's gonna get pretty spendy if I do subscribe to Club Eternia, and try to go all out on the 6" Star Wars line. At the same time, I really don't want to end up having many of the figures I still want from MOTUC to be released this next year, and then be stuck trying to buy them on eBay at inflated prices.

Well, I can tell u with much experience u will be able to find all black series sw figures on sale eventually. There will be a lot of sales near Christmas

Well, I can tell u with much experience u will be able to find all black series sw figures on sale eventually. There will be a lot of sales near Christmas

As for next year I am in the same boat on sw figures except I am just buying all new characters in the 3 3/4 black series and still debating on the 6" line but I like the figure selection so far. It will be difficult for me also because I look at the stuff I am getting this year from the motuc sub and say there are a lot of figures I don't want and have to sell. But the more obscure the harder they are to sell. Maybe mattel should make all figures no day of sale

Tough call for me also. I just wished they had more reveals or a list for the next year. U know mattel is the only company I know of that expects u to spend $500 half blind on toys and wonders why people are pissed this time of year about buying obscure characters that we wouldn't buy in the first place. I really do not understand their sales model. I am ready for one more year cause I want Blade, Saurod, Gwildor, and a snake armor He-man(which is long overdue for myp fans :))

I hope these figures come out in 2014 cause I am ready for 2014 to be the last year of this horrible sales model

As for next year I am in the same boat on sw figures except I am just buying all new characters in the 3 3/4 black series and still debating on the 6" line but I like the figure selection so far. It will be difficult for me also because I look at the stuff I am getting this year from the motuc sub and say there are a lot of figures I don't want and have to sell. But the more obscure the harder they are to sell. Maybe mattel should make all figures no day of sale

U know back in 2008 when this line was announced and I saw the price tag I said nobody would buy these they as re $20 plus shipping and handling. It actually took months for he-man and beast man to sell out. The first day sell out was skeletor. But I was dumbfounded that people were buying these figures so D.C. ast but I realized a lot of scalpers were buying them to resell on ebay. Well, the subscription had trouble last year and this because of two groups and one reason. Scalpers dropped off a lot and overseas collectors dropped off and the reason is price and character selection. Tertiary characters will not sell well on ebay. NA. figures do not sell well on ebay. Most collectors like me that subscribe have to sell off the figures I don't want. And a lot of people are tired of buying fgures they cannot sell. Ie fighting foe men and karatti. Also back in 2009 no sub.

I think if mattel is serious about getting more A list characters into 2014. I think this line might continue for 2014. But I kinda hope 2014 is the last year.

Enough rambling and complaining from me.

See u on the other side of August 19th on this issue.

If it dies, it dies

I still like Lundgren or HHH as he-man for a new movie

I won't care at all. From the beginning I really only wanted He-man, Skeletor, Battle Cat, Panthor, Fisto and Stridor. I have the 1st 4 and I am content. It would have been nice to snag Fisto (he was my favorite as a kid) but not enough to ever sub to get him. I am pretty happy with my 4 figures as they represent my childhood and MOTU's essence to me, and with the BL findings I was able to get Orko and King Grayskull. Figures I wanted but not enough to pay Mattel prices or battle the WSOD and digital river.

I am just thankful I never had to put up with crap from Mattel like most of you have. I have seen the complaints and stupid decisions pile up. I feel bad for the die hards, but putting this line to rest will hopefully restore some cheer to the toy community. Quite frankly, I am just tired of the negativity that seems to accompany this toy line.

There is more important things in life to be "heartbroken" over...

This :) scott has put such a foul taste in my mouth with the entire cherry picker thing & mattel has made it so hard to out right cherry pick in generally I don't think I've brought a figure in ... ...dang who was the last figure i brought ... perhaps no one since the price hike if just because I was unable to buy a couple that I actually wanted between now & then ... I also wouldn't believe mattel about finishing off the line there idea & mine are vastly different apparently & focus on things like POP & NA ...

I would be dissapointed because this is the best line motu will ever have. It wont be any bigger then this. Retail wont carry motu anymore except for movie figs. Mattel will go the hasbro route and reinvent the franchise every 2 or 3 years with crappy designs. The thing that dissapoints me more are the fans. In every line may it be dc, marvel, people ask for c, d listers and motuc has the chance to show companies that these characters are in demand but if this fails then we showed them all that characters like lois lane, mary jane, ffm are not needed and all we get are the main characters. We have the chance to work together and put it on the map but sadly people dont look at it this way. Thats what i take from it when this line would end. I know things went wrong in the past and people just post complaints and just to jump on the "i hate digital river bandwagon" when things get resolved that wont be posted sadly. In every company #$## happens. Even neca and hot toys arent perfect. Aliens marines have the arms coming off. I got a hot toys t-800 arnold. Shoulder broke off in seconds. Hot toys doesnt care since i am international. So i had to wait 2 years to buy a new body. Compared to this mattel isnt bad at all. I wont judge them on things that happend years ago. If i would take every word, promise from a toycompany so serious and be mad at them for not delivering then i would never get a single figure from anyone. Mattel rocks for me right now. Yes expensive but i wanted this for a very long time and its the only chance we have and that is now. Marvel, star wars will exist in manny versions for years but this is our only chance for more motuc figures and the biggest and best motu line ever :-)

I would be dissapointed because this is the best line motu will ever have. It wont be any bigger then this. Retail wont carry motu anymore except for movie figs. Mattel will go the hasbro route and reinvent the franchise every 2 or 3 years with crappy designs. The thing that dissapoints me more are the fans. In every line may it be dc, marvel, people ask for c, d listers and motuc has the chance to show companies that these characters are in demand but if this fails then we showed them all that characters like lois lane, mary jane, ffm are not needed and all we get are the main characters. We have the chance to work together and put it on the map but sadly people dont look at it this way. Thats what i take from it when this line would end. I know things went wrong in the past and people just post complaints and just to jump on the "i hate digital river bandwagon" when things get resolved that wont be posted sadly. In every company #$## happens. Even neca and hot toys arent perfect. Aliens marines have the arms coming off. I got a hot toys t-800 arnold. Shoulder broke off in seconds. Hot toys doesnt care since i am international. So i had to wait 2 years to buy a new body. Compared to this mattel isnt bad at all. I wont judge them on things that happend years ago. If i would take every word, promise from a toycompany so serious and be mad at them for not delivering then i would never get a single figure from anyone. Mattel rocks for me right now. Yes expensive but i wanted this for a very long time and its the only chance we have and that is now. Marvel, star wars will exist in manny versions for years but this is our only chance for more motuc figures and the biggest and best motu line ever :-)

I agree this the best motu line we will ever get, but i also have no problem with the line ending. Mattel has failed to support the brand with new content and media, ie video games, cartoon show, or movie, and their marketing gimics have gone a long way to alienate fans... so there's really not much else they feel like doing to increase interest in the property.

I would think they would start taking characters/ designs from the new DC comics, but that hasn't happened yet, so what is there really left to make? Personally I'd like to see the movie figures/ movie characters released but it doesnt look like that will happen. I dont feel a need to buy every figure in the line, bc I just dont care for all of them. That's also why I'm not a sub. I buy most my figures loose for $8-$15. Despite all this, the fact that MOTUC is like 5 years old speaks very well for toy companies contemplating a direct to consumer line.

regards

Joshua

I wasn't aware you had stopped collecting a few years back, Eric. A bit ironic as well considering that I have you to thank for getting me into the line

in the firstplace(to which I still owe you btw ;)) But I see where you're coming from regarding Mattel strong arming fans/collectors into the subscriptions. I'm still persevering

with this line, which is odd to say since this is suppose to be an enjoyable hobby. Mattel seems hell bent on sucking all the joy out though. Hopefully

they can atleast finish off the vintage line in 2014 and 2015 and if it can continue past that point that would be grand also. It is afterall the definitive MOTU toyline

and one of the best toylines overall.

Man, I was glad to help. I've changed jobs since then and can no longer be online to order stuff, so it's good it happened back then and you're not needing assistance today. :D You'll have to post a pic of your collection sometime.

I was fine with the subscription at first because they still had day-of-sale stuff. It was when they started "forcing out" the casual collectors or people who didn't want to commit to everything sight unseen that I soured. I subscribed that first year and really liked it, but when that became pretty much the only focus and option, I had to bow out mostly on principle.

There are a ton of figures I would like to have, but I'm okay with the decision I made. Still, like I said, I hope the line continues for years to come because, like you said, it's the definitive MOTU toyline.

I am happy that we've even had the chance for this line to even be a possibility. there are a lot of figures in this line that I love and there are some more that I would love to have. With that being said, yes I would be disappointed if the line died. if the line does die I can understand though with the price +shipping of these figures, dealing with DR, and then the choice of figures sometimes like the fighting foe men..... Then making it hard to get certain figures even when you do sub ie strobo etc...even with the early access on top of that...

So yes I will be very disappointed, but I can totally understand if it dies.

• Find Action Figures on Ebay

Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE