TNI Forums: Will The OT Cast Return For The Sequels? - TNI Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Will The OT Cast Return For The Sequels?

#51 User is offline   yojoebro82 

• Baroness
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

View PostWheeljack35, on 19 March 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

Heres a question will we see any stories from the books meshed together or will we see something totally new

I think there's a good chance that SW will end up like superhero movies in that they will mostly do their own thing but occasionally borrow from popular material (novels, comics, maybe). That's not necessarily a bad thing.

What I think a lot of fans need to realise is that not every novel they ever read will be incorporated into the movie. Just as all the Spider-Man stories from his 60 + years in the comics will never make it to the movies. But that does not mean, of course that those comic stories "never happened". Of course they did, and you can enjoy them again and again, and you can also enjoy a good Spider-Man movie at the same time.

I use this comparison because it seems a lot of SW fans are worried that a book they really like will suddenly "not count" or something because the new movie will contradict it. It most likely will. But this universe is going to grow with the Disney buy. Superhero universes have different continuities (comics, movies, cartoons, etc) Until now SW has had ONE continuity but frankly, I think those days are numbered. On the bright side, a good superhero comic is still a good superhero comic. A good superhero movie is still a good supehero movie. Even if they don't mesh with eachother. Star Wars can be the same way.

#52 User is online   Bespin refugee 

• http://jasonshoemaker.deviantart.com/
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

^Star Wars Infinities ;)

Harrison Ford Hints Return

#53 User is offline   featofstrength 

• Rat King

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

View Postyojoebro82, on 19 March 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

View PostWheeljack35, on 19 March 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

Heres a question will we see any stories from the books meshed together or will we see something totally new

I think there's a good chance that SW will end up like superhero movies in that they will mostly do their own thing but occasionally borrow from popular material (novels, comics, maybe). That's not necessarily a bad thing.

What I think a lot of fans need to realise is that not every novel they ever read will be incorporated into the movie. Just as all the Spider-Man stories from his 60 + years in the comics will never make it to the movies. But that does not mean, of course that those comic stories "never happened". Of course they did, and you can enjoy them again and again, and you can also enjoy a good Spider-Man movie at the same time.

I use this comparison because it seems a lot of SW fans are worried that a book they really like will suddenly "not count" or something because the new movie will contradict it. It most likely will. But this universe is going to grow with the Disney buy. Superhero universes have different continuities (comics, movies, cartoons, etc) Until now SW has had ONE continuity but frankly, I think those days are numbered. On the bright side, a good superhero comic is still a good superhero comic. A good superhero movie is still a good supehero movie. Even if they don't mesh with eachother. Star Wars can be the same way.

Hard to count how many great stories that could have been great movie adaptations were cannibalized to make 3 lame Nolan Batman movies.

They should stamp everything with "Infinities" or "Ultimate Star Wars" to make timeline distinctions. It would make it even easier for the already divided groups of SW fans to single the others out.

But in all seriousness...
Posted Image
this is how they should do Han Solo in the new movies.

#54 User is offline   FUGAYZIE 

• The Gray Ghost

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:44 AM

View PostCLAM, on 15 February 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

I don't get why you guys are hatin! I want Ford back as Han Solo at least for the first of the new trilogy. They can't have a new trilogy and NOT feature all of the original chore characters.

I want all of them back for the first part.. Mark Hammil, Harrison Ford, Cary Fisher, Anthony Daniels (C3PO), and maybe even Billy Dee Williams.. R2D2 and Chewbacca of course too..

but anyhow, the first part of the new trilogy will HAVE to feature the main characters and they MUST be the original actors

sure they are older, but the story can reflect that.. and Hollywood makeup artists can work wonders

my feelings exactly! i want to see all of the originals in the first movie, it's the best, propper, and really the only way to have a "passing of the torch". if it's done right, it could really set a positive pace moving forward; giving the stories and new characters a much stronger connection to the original SW. that strong connection will (i believe) rally a lot of the fans who may not have previously had any interest in new films.

#55 User is offline   featofstrength 

• Rat King

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

View PostFUGAYZIE, on 21 March 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

my feelings exactly! i want to see all of the originals in the first movie, it's the best, propper, and really the only way to have a "passing of the torch". if it's done right...

Okay...let's all think and try to remember instances where "passing the torch" has worked on film.

Um...
Posted Image

This phrase is becoming more obnoxious than "nuked the fridge" and "jumped the shark"

#56 User is offline   CLAM 

• ADC MVP since '01

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

View Postfeatofstrength, on 21 March 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

my feelings exactly! i want to see all of the originals in the first movie, it's the best, propper, and really the only way to have a "passing of the torch". if it's done right...

Okay...let's all think and try to remember instances where "passing the torch" has worked on film.

Um...

what would you prefer instead? A movie that doesn't feature any characters from the previous films?

I don't see how that could be possible, since this is being called Episode 7

or would you just prefer them to recast all of the characters?

what is your solution to Episode 7?

#57 User is offline   featofstrength 

• Rat King

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

View PostCLAM, on 21 March 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

View Postfeatofstrength, on 21 March 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

Um...

what would you prefer instead? A movie that doesn't feature any characters from the previous films?

I don't see how that could be possible, since this is being called Episode 7

or would you just prefer them to recast all of the characters?

what is your solution to Episode 7?

Keep thinking, Clam...im sure youll come up with one!
Posted Image
or was that just a revisiting? Wait, is that what New Star Wars is and not a torch-pass?

#58 User is offline   CLAM 

• ADC MVP since '01

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

uh.. I was being serious.

what would you like to see in Episode 7?

#59 User is offline   featofstrength 

• Rat King

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

View PostCLAM, on 21 March 2013 - 10:57 PM, said:

uh.. I was being serious.

what would you like to see in Episode 7?

You can read all about it in the Speculative Time Capsule thread...

If you absolutely need old characters to make sense of "EP 7" for you, Luke Skywalker is the only one that should be there...set it up quick and then die, without the "poetry" of being a sage mentor like Obi Wan, and let original characters stand without the crutches.

OR - ITS ALL ABOUT OLD LUKE SKYWALKER. NO @##@@ KIDS.

Posted Image
revisiting, right? because they didn't officially pass the torch to Oscar til GB3 in the year 20xx?

#60 User is offline   Belmont13 

• Quintesson

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:59 AM

Wow, Star Wars fans are so difficult to please.

#61 User is online   Bespin refugee 

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

Luke Skywalker is the only one that should be there...set it up quick and then die, without the "poetry" of being a sage mentor like Obi Wan, and let original characters stand without the crutches.

Obi-Wan appears in first movie of the OT, and is killed - Luke appears in first movie of sequel trilogy and is killed
sounds like "poetry" to me :huh:

Without the OT cast, it might as well be a stand alone story, imo

Technically, the OT had plenty of PT carry-over characters; Anakin/Vader, Ben "Obi-Wan", Yoda, Owen, Beru, etc...., 'passing the torch' to Luke, Leia, Han, etc...

and really, you're going to compare Ace Ventura Jr. and Blues Brothers 2000 to Star Wars? @hmmm@

#62 User is offline   yojoebro82 

• Baroness

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

Well I fear you're going to get a little bit of "poetry" with Luke in the movie. He's going to train the newer generation of Jedi just like Obi Wan. How could he not??? The alternative is he refuses to train them for some dumb reason and is portrayed as some grumpy duche which--of course--would make people mad as well. Making this:

View PostBelmont13, on 22 March 2013 - 06:59 AM, said:

Wow, Star Wars fans are so difficult to please.

totally true (like it isn't already).

The most exposure we've had to Jedi on-screen were all in the prequels doing stoic, wooden, bad copies of Alec Guiness. But there's hope! With GOOD WRITING, Luke can still train Jedi and need not have the same personality as ANH Obi Wan. It's not doomed to suck.

#63 User is online   Bespin refugee 

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

I'm wondering if Luke mirroring Obi-Wan is too poetic, or maybe it's his destiny...
Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were both killed in the first movie of both trilogies, and both mentors to Jedi padawans
Actually, I believe Empire is the only movie where a 1st/2nd string character wasn't killed on-screen?
The Phantom Menace: Qui-Gon, Darth Maul
Attack of the Clones: Shmi Skywalker, Jango Fett,
Revenge of the Sith: Count Dooku, General Grievous, Seperatists, Padme', Mace & Order 66, 'Anakin Skywalker'
A New Hope: Owen & Beru Lars, Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi, Grand Moff Tarkin
The Empire Strikes Back:
Return of the Jedi: Boba Fett, Jabba, Yoda, Darth Vader, Emperor

#64 User is offline   featofstrength 

• Rat King

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

View Postyojoebro82, on 22 March 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

Well I fear you're going to get a little bit of "poetry" with Luke in the movie. He's going to train the newer generation of Jedi just like Obi Wan. How could he not??? The alternative is he refuses to train them for some dumb reason and is portrayed as some grumpy duche which--of course--would make people mad as well. Making this:

Perhaps he saw the flaws, dangers, and failures of the Jedi past(yes, this would force fan and franchise alike to not only admit the mess made of the Jedi in the prequels, but actually press on to rectify, instead of ignoring) compounded with the (naïve) feeling that they may be unnecessary risks in a time of peace, and so rests on his laurels/ hangs up the lightsaber/lives a perfectly content life? Of course, a new threat would emerge, and Luke would have to take up the mantle again. This might seem like a formulaic movie cliché as well (think the gunslinger returns, or Rocky sequels come to mind, complete with training montage!), but it beats "passing the torch" any day.

He wouldn't have to be a grumpy douche, just a rusty, reluctant hero. Again, another sequel formula, but not self referential "poetry" and more in tune with the borrowed "poetry" from other films and genres akin to what Lucas did with the originals. And most importantly, it gives the character of Luke (as well as Hamill) somewhere to go, with room to breath and grow, rather than sticking him in the background.

Of course, this scenario (less Jedi) probably means less high-choreo lightsaber balderdash, and less lightsabers in general...which would piss "fans" off even more than Luke being some "grumpy douche."

#65 User is offline   Wheeljack35 

• The Jedi Insider Jedi

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

View PostBespin refugee, on 23 March 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

I'm wondering if Luke mirroring Obi-Wan is too poetic, or maybe it's his destiny...
Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were both killed in the first movie of both trilogies, and both mentors to Jedi padawans
Actually, I believe Empire is the only movie where a 1st/2nd string character wasn't killed on-screen?
The Phantom Menace: Qui-Gon, Darth Maul
Attack of the Clones: Shmi Skywalker, Jango Fett,
Revenge of the Sith: Count Dooku, General Grievous, Seperatists, Padme', Mace & Order 66, 'Anakin Skywalker'
A New Hope: Owen & Beru Lars, Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi, Grand Moff Tarkin
The Empire Strikes Back:
Return of the Jedi: Boba Fett, Jabba, Yoda, Darth Vader, Emperor

and the funny thing is ....it is the best movie of the whole saga

#66 User is offline   Devilbat 

• "What are you prepared to do?"

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

I'm all for that, feat. I always liked the idea of the older hero coming back out of retirement so to speak to give it one last go. Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns comes to mind as the best example, but I also think of Rambo, KOTCS (although Indiana Jones never actually retired), and Clint Eastwood's character in Unforgiven. Maybe it's just me getting older, or there's just something very fascinating about an old warrior that still has a little fire left in their belly, but I love the scenario of the "old guy" giving it one more shot. It would lend a little more dignity to the original characters than a "passing-of-the-torch" film would.

#67 User is offline   yojoebro82 

• Baroness

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

View Postfeatofstrength, on 24 March 2013 - 09:23 AM, said:

View Postyojoebro82, on 22 March 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

Perhaps he saw the flaws, dangers, and failures of the Jedi past(yes, this would force fan and franchise alike to not only admit the mess made of the Jedi in the prequels, but actually press on to rectify, instead of ignoring) compounded with the (naïve) feeling that they may be unnecessary risks in a time of peace, and so rests on his laurels/ hangs up the lightsaber/lives a perfectly content life? Of course, a new threat would emerge, and Luke would have to take up the mantle again. This might seem like a formulaic movie cliché as well (think the gunslinger returns, or Rocky sequels come to mind, complete with training montage!), but it beats "passing the torch" any day.

He wouldn't have to be a grumpy douche, just a rusty, reluctant hero. Again, another sequel formula, but not self referential "poetry" and more in tune with the borrowed "poetry" from other films and genres akin to what Lucas did with the originals. And most importantly, it gives the character of Luke (as well as Hamill) somewhere to go, with room to breath and grow, rather than sticking him in the background.

Of course, this scenario (less Jedi) probably means less high-choreo lightsaber balderdash, and less lightsabers in general...which would piss "fans" off even more than Luke being some "grumpy douche."

That's a good idea...

#68 User is offline   featofstrength 

• Rat King

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

View PostDevilbat, on 24 March 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

I'm all for that, feat. I always liked the idea of the older hero coming back out of retirement so to speak to give it one last go. Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns comes to mind as the best example, but I also think of Rambo, KOTCS (although Indiana Jones never actually retired), and Clint Eastwood's character in Unforgiven. Maybe it's just me getting older, or there's just something very fascinating about an old warrior that still has a little fire left in their belly, but I love the scenario of the "old guy" giving it one more shot. It would lend a little more dignity to the original characters than a "passing-of-the-torch" film would.

Unforgiven was definitely in my mind in thinking that up. Western legends in general...something about the lone figure in the distance, almost forgotten except in the memories of a few, returning when we need him most...and always, always riding off in the end. DIGNITY...you said it, brother. That must be stressed or there's no reason to bring back the old characters.

And again, I cant stress this enough, more Jedi are unnessesary. Unless the gap in which we last saw Luke in ROTJ became riddled with a sea of Sith or he's so old that he feels the need to pass on what he knows to just one other person, there would have been no reason for him to train an entirely new Jedi order. Im not saying that this new trilogy couldnt be the start of new Jedi, but it should never become be so cluttered with new characters (read:Jedi) from the start that it becomes unclear what these movies should be, what all sane Star Wars fans have wanted since 1983:the continuing adventures of Luke Skywalker.

#69 User is offline   Belmont13 

• Quintesson

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

Well, I once read an interview with Mark Hamill where he was asked about the character post ROTJ he said that he after the fall of the Empire he saw Luke becoming a sort of hermit figure not unlike Obi Wan, he wouldn't fall in love or get married he would just become a sort of loner and then he made a joke about being married to the hottie Mara Jade in the books. I gotta say I like the idea of Luke being a reluctant old hero, it would fit the character in that time period: he has seen the consequences of abusing the force and the dark side, his robotic hand is a constant reminder of what happens when he rushes in without thinking and not being prepared so I can see an older,wiser Luke taking himself out of things and just "retiring".

#70 User is offline   CLAM 

• ADC MVP since '01

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

what about Luke turning to the Dark side? as is seen in the Dark Horse comics...

as for the old reluctant hero motif... I love it. Clint Eastwood does it in a ton of his movies.. and it works every time

#71 User is online   Bespin refugee 

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

Harrison Ford Talks Star Wars On Letterman
I suffered through the first part of Letterman, just in case something was said. I couldn't tell if Harrison was sick of answering the question, trying to make a joke (about the prequels), or implying he hasn't been 'officially' asked? @hmmm@

Update:I'm not expecting any actual answers from Harrison Ford any time soon, blast those NDA's, lol
http://herocomplex.l...w-film-queries/

#72 User is offline   Wheeljack35 

• The Jedi Insider Jedi

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

Harrison Ford Won't Answer Star Wars Questions :P

https://www.youtube....d&v=7T0vs9gYydo

#73 User is offline   yojoebro82 

• Baroness

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

Ya know I don't blame the guy. I mean, he told us it was all up in the air right now. What else do ya want? Specific plot details? He doesn't know. What does he want personally for Han? He wants him dead. Leave the old guy alone :)

#74 User is offline   mako 

• Captain Cold

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

"Bird who sqwawks when mouse says 'shut the flock up' will soon find himself kicked out of the coop."

Translation: Han Solo lives in the Mouse-House now. Whether Ford knows jack or not, Disney will spill the beans when Disney is ready.

#75 User is offline   yojoebro82 

• Baroness

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

I just assumed he was tired or answering the same fanboy questions over and over and over and over and over and over and over and ove

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us