Scott Neitlich Leaves Mattel...

While I think it unfair that Scott gets a lot of blame for problems at Mattel he really had no control over, I think its just as unfair to say without him something like MOTUC would never had happened. Scott was a marketing guy, and while I am sure he was an advocate and played a role in many aspects of these lines good and bad, its not like he was the sole decision maker with any of these things. Also I would say with about 90% certainty he's not going to Hasbro. His most likely destination is a company called Spin Master.

Interesting. In the AFI interview, Scott mentioned that his new company was both collector oriented and kid focused. He also said (paraphrasing) that they were a big part of his childhood like MOTU was. I had a look at Spin Master's website and most of their stuff seems to be aimed at kids, although there is some TMNT product there (those Battle Shell figures).

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He got poached by another toy company. I really hope it's not for anything I still collect,

I'm intrigued to see what someone else can do at the reins. Bios ought to at least be better, amiright?

Also, NO SON OF HE-MAN 2016!!!!! 2yay-thumb.gif893purpbanana-thumb.gif2yay-thumb.gif

I am curious, where did you hear he got poached?

Hmmm I've heard Star Wars and/or Marvel.

You heard he got poached from Star Wars and Marvel? or do you mean you heard he got poached for those brands, and if so where did you hear that? Someplace credible or just someone talking out their a@$?

I have no credible evidence either way...just what I read on different sites.

Why the attitude? because instead the condescending, "have you ever worked at a large corporation" you could have just gave your opinion. This isn't about me hating Scott... it's about how sad it is that he has people believing that all the issues that have arisen with the brands he ran... were always out of his control. Coming from a guy who passed the buck SO MANY times and is a notorious compulsive lying weasel.

But yeah, I have worked at a large corporation and I've dealt with plenty like Scott... although Scott takes the cake.

While I think it unfair that Scott gets a lot of blame for problems at Mattel he really had no control over, I think its just as unfair to say without him something like MOTUC would never had happened. Scott was a marketing guy, and while I am sure he was an advocate and played a role in many aspects of these lines good and bad, its not like he was the sole decision maker with any of these things. Also I would say with about 90% certainty he's not going to Hasbro. His most likely destination is a company called Spin Master.

Interesting. In the AFI interview, Scott mentioned that his new company was both collector oriented and kid focused. He also said (paraphrasing) that they were a big part of his childhood like MOTU was. I had a look at Spin Master's website and most of their stuff seems to be aimed at kids, although there is some TMNT product there (those Battle Shell figures).

While it is conjecture on my part since Scott hasn't said where he is going, the reason I believe he is going to Spin Master is because a little over a week ago Dave Vonner who was former employee at Hasbro and is best known for his work on the 3.75" Marvel Universe line posted a image of himself and Scott on his FB page that said "Somethings brewing in the Creative Pot! Great Sunday meeting with my boy Scott Neitlich".

Vonner was last known to work at Spin Master and as far as I know still does. At the time of the post some including myself speculated or perhaps more accurately hoped the post meant Mattel had hired Vonner away from Spin Master to maybe work on the DC 3.75" line. Now in hindsight of this most recent news it would seem more likely the reverse happened. I agree I am not aware of any major action figure line Spin Master does unless they've obtained some as-of-yet unannounced license, or perhaps Vonner has also left Spin Master and the two are working on something together. The toy industry especially these days seems to be a very volatile one with a lot of turn over. I am sure we will hear more soon, but I seriously doubt if Scott is working with Vonner its back at Hasbro since Vonner was let go from there a little over a year ago.

Why the attitude? because instead the condescending, "have you ever worked at a large corporation" you could have just gave your opinion. This isn't about me hating Scott... it's about how sad it is that he has people believing that all the issues that have arisen with the brands he ran... were always out of his control. Coming from a guy who passed the buck SO MANY times and is a notorious compulsive lying weasel.

But yeah, I have worked at a large corporation and I've dealt with plenty like Scott... although Scott takes the cake.

There was nothing condescending. I simply asked a question since I have know idea what your background is, where you worked or even if you are of working age.

While it is conjecture on my part since Scott hasn't said where he is going, the reason I believe he is going to Spin Master is because a little over a week ago Dave Vonner who was former employee at Hasbro and is best known for his work on the 3.75" Marvel Universe line posted a image of himself and Scott on his FB page that said "Somethings brewing in the Creative Pot! Great Sunday meeting with my boy Scott Neitlich".

Vonner was last known to work at Spin Master and as far as I know still does. At the time of the post some including myself speculated or perhaps more accurately hoped the post meant Mattel had hired Vonner away from Spin Master to maybe work on the DC 3.75" line. Now in hindsight of this most recent news it would seem more likely the reverse happened. I agree I am not aware of any major action figure line Spin Master does unless they've obtained some as-of-yet unannounced license, or perhaps Vonner has also left Spin Master and the two are working on something together. The toy industry especially these days seems to be a very volatile one with a lot of turn over. I am sure we will hear more soon, but I seriously doubt if Scott is working with Vonner its back at Hasbro since Vonner was let go from there a little over a year ago.

Cool, thanks for the info. Most of that's news to me.

Wasn't David Vonner working on some new action figure line?... Maybe Scott is going to help with that...

That was for another company before Vonner went to Spin Master and last I was told that line isnt happening now.

I think we got a lot of MOTUC figures simply because Scott wanted them, but because MOTU is my favorite property, I can be happy we got a lot of MOTUC figures period. Maybe MOTUC wouldn't have been the same without him, but I think there's plenty of evidence to show that his time has run its course, and I'm ready to see what we might get with MOTUC and MOTU in general without him managing or pulling any strings.

He got poached by another toy company. I really hope it's not for anything I still collect,

I'm intrigued to see what someone else can do at the reins. Bios ought to at least be better, amiright?

Also, NO SON OF HE-MAN 2016!!!!! 2yay-thumb.gif893purpbanana-thumb.gif2yay-thumb.gif

If this comes off as a tad assholish, apologies in advance...

...but did anyone actually read the article that the news story on the front page linked to?

After 9 years of making collector product at Mattel, Scott was headhunted by another toy company and has accepted that position.

If this comes off as a tad assholish, apologies in advance...

...but did anyone actually read the article that the news story on the front page linked to?

After 9 years of making collector product at Mattel, Scott was headhunted by another toy company and has accepted that position.

No I didnt read the article, just listened to Scott's interview which I don't recall him ever using the words poached in, which is why I asked where you had heard that word used. Poached to me would mean a company out of the blue (as opposed to you putting out feelers for a new job) came after you specifically to try and steal you away, likely offering more money or something to get you to leave your current job for the new one and is something generally frowned upon in industries, especially a small one like the toy industry (not to say that it never happens) and the way I heard it (coming second hand of course so I don't really know whats true and whats not), it went a little differently than that.

1413634647[/url]' post='16815828']

He's gone??? Who would collectors hate now?

Lol! That's funny.

IMHO, some fans may despise him, but he got most of their childhood dreams and the company's marketing goals come to fruition. We got accurate likeness figures from our favorite growing up animated series. And that should matter more than anything.

If there was an assertive and aggressive Scott in Young Justice or Thundercats, we could still be enjoying those 2 series til now.

The true heroes of the line are the 4H, because if not for their awesome sculpts no one would care. It was the 4H who came up with the idea and introduced the prototype He-man to the public through one of the conventions. The only thing Scott did was make sure the price was high, and quality was low. He pretended to be a fan, a man of the people... scared people into subbing using deceptive tactics. The fans' love and devotion for the MOTU property and the sculpts by the 4H are the ONLY reasons why the line still exists after 7 years. Scott was merely a middle man.

No I didnt read the article, just listened to Scott's interview which I don't recall him ever using the words poached in, which is why I asked where you had heard that word used. Poached to me would mean a company out of the blue (as opposed to you putting out feelers for a new job) came after you specifically to try and steal you away, likely offering more money or something to get you to leave your current job for the new one and is something generally frowned upon in industries, especially a small one like the toy industry (not to say that it never happens) and the way I heard it (coming second hand of course so I don't really know whats true and whats not), it went a little differently than that.

If you are headhunted while employed at a rival company in the same industry, and you quit your first job to take the second, you've been poached. If he had quit Mattel first and then got picked up by later, it'd be different.

Most certainly agree megachickmagnet. No way anyone could take away credit from the 4H for making such amazing figures. All I was saying Scott had a job and his own duties and he did them as well....he laid the cards as bluntly, which didn't fare well,to some fans, but was able save the line from an early termination.....he had the unpopular duty of telling collectors on how manufacturing would be sustained, and complete the remaining characters in the line.

Young Justice was an amazing animated series but got cancelled, due to poor toy sales ( as what I read somewhere), and it was current, watched by the young generation and by fans of the old DC series alike.

If a current popular series as YJ or Thnudercats 2011 got early cancellations, how'd they think can a toyline 3 decades ago survive the present high costs of productions if not for aggressive marketing.

Wasn't David Vonner working on some new action figure line?... Maybe Scott is going to help with that...

That was for another company before Vonner went to Spin Master and last I was told that line isnt happening now.

Thsts assuming you were referring to these http://toynewsi.com/...=1&itemid=20058

That's disappointing, I believe that was a line based on Valiant comics I was looking forward to a couple of those.

Back in the day there toy ads all over now they are relagated to the cartopn based networks

They should go old school a advertise all over the system again

The only problem is, there IS no system any longer. Back in the day, every network and several cable stations had AT LEAST a weekend animation block. That doesn't even begin to count all the syndicated markets with weekday morning AND afternoon animation blocks. Those were the places toys were advertised.

As much as I hate to admit it, those cartoon based networks you mention ARE the system nowadays. That, word of mouth, and the internet.

If you are headhunted while employed at a rival company in the same industry, and you quit your first job to take the second, you've been poached. If he had quit Mattel first and then got picked up by later, it'd be different.

Not that its that material one way or the other, but unless your are actually fired or laid off, most people don't quit their existing job till they have obtained another one. When you say Headhunted or poached (at least to me) your still insinuating the individual wasn't actively in some way seeking employment elsewhere whether openly or covertly, possibly because they knew their current position was going to be phased out in the foreseeable future which would result in either being laid off or taking a position of lesser pay or stature. If a company out of the blue approaches you to offer you a new job, that to me is being poached or headhunted. Which scenario happened here I could only speculate based on second hand gossip so IDK.

Right, I know all of that.

But given that the reporting article specifically said that he had been "headhunted" and was leaving his job for another position within the same industry at a(n unspecified) rival company, the use of the word "poached" is accurate.

Now, if you don't believe that the article's reporting is accurate, then:

1. There's no point to debating this topic any further

2. You shouldn't link to the article on your website

Back in the day there toy ads all over now they are relagated to the cartopn based networks

They should go old school a advertise all over the system again

The only problem is, there IS no system any longer. Back in the day, every network and several cable stations had AT LEAST a weekend animation block. That doesn't even begin to count all the syndicated markets with weekday morning AND afternoon animation blocks. Those were the places toys were advertised.

As much as I hate to admit it, those cartoon based networks you mention ARE the system nowadays. That, word of mouth, and the internet.

Exactly, back in the day cartoons played on more channels. Now days u only find them on the cartoon networks, of course that advertising has always been aimed at parents and young kids, not adult collectors. The problem is the demographic of kids who play with action figures has shrunk so much since back in the day because kids maybe play with them for a few years till they move on to things like video games. Most these large companies are not interested in spending much money if any on "Collector" oriented toys. If they did they could advertise during all these primetime TV shows like ARROW, Agents of SHIELD and so on but that would be very expensive and most companies additude is there aren't enough collectors out there to be worth spending that kind of money on. They won't even pay to advertise on websites like this, instead they expect people to promote their stuff for free via word of mouth (which is basically what Scott was doing) which IMO is not terribly effective and certainly doesn't open the hobby up to bringing in new collectors.

Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE