Bebop & Rocksteady!!!...

my tru just restocked the classic turtles again.

i have always wanted movie turtles, but it's hard to see if the sulpts are any good. i would have really liked to have seen a classics shredder and splinter.

not to bash on playmates, but neca's work was just so good, i really wish they would have finished out the Mirage comic line and been given the go-ahead on the movie and toon lines too :(

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know why neca cant continue, i mean they are doing comic based figures while playmates just keeps it on animation. The way i see it, classics will be dead allready because of all these turtles. New animated, classics, vintage ones also make a return and now 90's movie. How manny versions can retail take before they call it over? We all know not much.

I dont know why neca cant continue, i mean they are doing comic based figures while playmates just keeps it on animation. The way i see it, classics will be dead allready because of all these turtles. New animated, classics, vintage ones also make a return and now 90's movie. How manny versions can retail take before they call it over? We all know not much.

I heard something along the lines of NECA depending too heavily on the foreign market to buy into the line. Since TMNT (especially the original comic version) has nowhere near the national or international status of other major comic/toy characters (ie: Spiderman, batman, supes, wolvie, etc.) they were a hard sell. compound that with the fact that the figures (like turtles in the comic) were all rockin red masks, made them less appealing than the MOST familiar multi-colored masked rendition of them.

i'm a diehard Mirage TMNT fan. i've been there since the mid/late 80's. as painful as it is for me to say this, the smartest thing for neca to have done would have been to release the turtles with their individually colored masks, making the all red masks the lesser produced variants. fact is, the cartoon was what forced the TMNT into the brains and hearts of the masses. before that, the turtles were gritty, aggressive, serious, ass-whooping ninjas from a black and white pg-13esq comic. they did not eat pizza or travel around in wacky vehicles, hell, they didn't even wear multi-colored masks; that was an adaption made for the cartoon so children could easily tell them apart. the first movie was a well balanced meld of comic and cartoon TMNT.

with all that said, if NECA was losing money from international sales and nationally the only places fans could buy these figures were at Toys R Us and specialty shops, it's no wonder why the line ended. with such poor marketing, i'm surprised we saw comic April and the Mousers. though, if it was done all over again, right now, in today's market with TMNT popularity riding the high wave of popularity that it is, it would be a totally different story.

though, if it was done all over again, right now, in today's market with TMNT popularity riding the high wave of popularity that it is, it would be a totally different story.

Not really. I love the Turtles, but even I have to admit their popularity is nowhere near where it was. The only time anybody seems to notice the new movie is when they screw something up (alien Turtles, Paramilitary Foot, Megan Fox), the Nick toon is doing alright, but isn't lighting any fires. Even with hard-core TMNT fans, the show doesn't have half the following the 2003 series had.

If Necca had tried Turtles today, I doubt they would've even gotten it off the ground.

i have to disagree. Nick has done fantastic marketing with the new Turtles franchise. the new show is a legit good quality show with a ton of room for growth and has been a hot bed for generating new fans while still appealing to many of the older ones. Nick has also added tmnt to their themeparks which helps build fans from the ground up. top all that off with the buzz of a new major production movie in the works and a great new comic from IDW which has been successfully melding many fan favorite fragments of the varied tmnt verse to form something fresh and new, yet still very familiar to the core fans, and the franchise's level of success has raised well above what it was back in 2003.

sure the 4kids show was great and volume 4 of the comic was entertaining, but the majority of fans back then were the same fans who were still lingering around from the old mirage comic and fred wolf cartoon days. the franchise became very stagnant and the fan base was considerably weaker.

• 1 month later...

i want to like them...i really do, but i don't :( i wish they would have stuck to a traditional toon design. even as a stand alone design, i wish the figures were a little bulkier. a good example would the new avengers movie hulk or ML faceoff hulk/leader 2 pack. their waist/hip joint is a tad too small imo. i do really like their classic style weapons and that they made rocksteady's helmet removable though.

Rocksteady & Bebop Figure reviews are up:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classic Collection Rocksteady Figure Video Review & Images http://toynewsi.com//news.php?itemid=21091

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classic Collection Bebop Figure Video Review & Images http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=20&itemid=21089

I think they look good. I like these new designs, they look much more menacing than the originals, like these are characters you would thing twice about before mesing with. Granted I did not collect the original line so it doesn't bother me at all that they look different. The figures aren't perfect but no figure is and I think they make nice additions to this line.

I can't wait to get them too. As for Pixel-Dan, I love his videos and met him a few times in real life, he's a great guy and props to him for turning something he did for fun into something he can live off of. Not many here can say they did that(Jay, you don't count, lol).

I can't wait to get them too. As for Pixel-Dan, I love his videos and met him a few times in real life, he's a great guy and props to him for turning something he did for fun into something he can live off of. Not many here can say they did that(Jay, you don't count, lol).

Well Dan actually works a regular non-toy related 8hr, 7 days a week job and then comes home and films his reviews after work and on weekends. Yeah he gets some free toys (just like any reviewer will often get free product sent to them to review) and makes a little money from his YT channel but the guy works his ass off which is why I don't understand why anyone would have sour grapes. Do people who go on tech sites or video game sites and read reviews get mad or jealous because those reviewers get sent free games and tech hardware? It would be like me getting mad that someone who reviews cell phones gets sent the latest iPhone for free to review. I can understand if you don't like the sound of someones voice, though honestly Dan has a pretty basic voice that is easy to understand, but that sort of thing is a preference and we all have different preferences, but again I don't think anyone should have sour grapes over what he does or be jealous.

I just hope these 2 are easy to find when they do make it to release...very cool figs

They will be available at TRU or online etailers. The 4 Turtles seem pretty easy to find now at TRU so I don't think these guys should be to difficult.

Me to, he's a cool guy, met him at SDCC 2012, in a line waiting to pick up preorder stuff.

the only disappointment with these figures is the scale...no matter how you look at it, they are too small or the turtles are too big

If anything I would say the Turtles a probably a little to tall.

I still bought the Turtles despite the cartoony look, their still bombas$.....yes Bebop & Steady are a lil smaller but I'm not a size king......no ankle joints....that's not a total breaker for me either, bring em on.....

If you watch the Bebop & Rocksteady review video by Pixel Dan, you will notice that he keeps emphasizing that B&R are "inspired" and not meant to be faithful to the show. According to Playmates, weren't all 4 turtles meant to be "inspired" or "remixed" (a blend of the original toy line and the cartoon)? I mean, they aren't even the same color.

Also, is anyone else expecting Bebop and Rocksteady to be overpriced (e.g. $29) at retail or ebay despite the suggested MSRP?

• Find Action Figures on Ebay

Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE