DC hires Orson Scott Card to pen Superman series

featofstrength

search "Orson Scott Card Superman" on google and try to find an article that doesnt mention "homophobe" or "anti-gay", and try and find one that does mention something like "award winning author" or "Ender's Game" on the topic.

Good luck.

Superman, the worlds greatest superhero can always use good writers. Its too bad that intollerance in the name of tollerance would stop any attempt like this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/11/dc-comics-orson-scott-card_n_2663591.html

I've believed for a long time that DC has no idea what to do with Supes. It's pretty evident given the staggering number of times he's been rebooted in the last 20 some years. I'm not just talking about New 52 Supes, either. The latest "solution" of unmarrying him and making him young is another "miss", IMO.

I've given the Superman comics chance after chance ever since the death storyline in the 90s and I've always had to drop it eventually. When something like this comes along where a successful writer is taking over, or there's a new take on the movie franchise (like what's coming with Man of Steel), I get excited and hope THIS will be where they get him right. Let's hope!

Now after reading that article (sorry, I often comment in posts BEFORE I read the links. I'm a bad person), it appears that Card's opinions on gay marriage differ from others. OK. I guess that means he should be denied work at a company based on his personal beliefs? I guess someone will have to explain how that works to me.

I guess that means he should be denied work at a company based on his personal beliefs? I guess someone will have to explain how that works to me.

There is no explaining. When you are in the majority wrong, you are guilty of thought crime. You must conform or be villified and destroyed.

It wouldn't be in the news if it was them just hiring some random writer. As long as he doesn't push his beliefs in his work, I see nothing wrong with it.

Exactly. But right out of the gate, Card's Superman would obviously reflect his personal beliefs on homosexuality. The Man of Steel would spend less time bashing the Legion of Doom and more time bashing...

sigh...used to say, live and let live...

So people were upset when they hired a homosexual director for Superman Returns now they hired the exact opposite for the comics and there's still complaining, ugh. Let me get this straight people who fancy themselves tolerant are intolerant of an intolerant person doing his job, beautiful.

So people were upset when they hired a homosexual director for Superman Returns now they hired the exact opposite for the comics and there's still complaining, ugh.

Yes, because no matter what the situation, people can read into anything and twist it to fit their agenda. There were people who honestly believed the way Superman's briefs were cut in Returns was a reflection of the director's homsexual beliefs. No lie.

I guess that means he should be denied work at a company based on his personal beliefs? I guess someone will have to explain how that works to me.

There is no explaining. When you are in the majority wrong, you are guilty of thought crime. You must conform or be villified and destroyed.

It wouldn't be in the news if it was them just hiring some random writer. As long as he doesn't push his beliefs in his work, I see nothing wrong with it.

Exactly. But right out of the gate, Card's Superman would obviously reflect his personal beliefs on homosexuality. The Man of Steel would spend less time bashing the Legion of Doom and more time bashing...

sigh...used to say, live and let live...

I love Ender's Game...even got our school to order it so I can teach it but that being said he does bring it on himself when he advocates for a revolution if same sex marriage is legalized. I wish Card would adopt the live and let live philosophy himself.

I think the whole thing is silly. Its his beliefs and he is free to express them. Now if DC lets him, then its there stupid fault for allowing that. Who are we to say what the majority believes in, in any way shape or form.

Draven

I sense a thread closing soon, so I'll just say that he hasn't done anything wrong yet and as screwed up as DC is, they aren't going to do a homophobic storyline and risk a media backlash. They may want to publicity, but not that kind of publicity, particularly with Superman.

I just want to clarify, I have no problem with Card doing it. Just wanted to point out he is free to express his opinions about the issue as others are free to express theirs about him. If he wants to make controversial statements fine but don't be shocked when that is what people focus on. Not everyone cares about Ender.

search "Orson Scott Card Superman" on google and try to find an article that doesnt mention "homophobe" or "anti-gay", and try and find one that does mention something like "award winning author" or "Ender's Game" on the topic.

Good luck.

Superman, the worlds greatest superhero can always use good writers. Its too bad that intollerance in the name of tollerance would stop any attempt like this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/11/dc-comics-orson-scott-card_n_2663591.html

My knowledge on Orson Scott Card is limited. In what way is he a "homophobe" or "anti-gay"? Is he just pro-traditional marriage or is he a "all gays should be round up and executed"? The Homophobe card is just like the race card now. Just thrown out even when it doesn't apply.

My knowledge on Orson Scott Card is limited. In what way is he a "homophobe" or "anti-gay"? Is he just pro-traditional marriage or is he a "all gays should be round up and executed"? The Homophobe card is just like the race card now. Just thrown out even when it doesn't apply.

one I've read, and here's the gist from Wiki...

Card's novella Hamlet's Father, which re-imagines the backstory of Shakespeare's play Hamlet, some claim that Card directly links the king's pedophilia with homosexuality. The novella prompted public outcry and its publishers were inundated with complaints.[16] The trade journal Publisher's Weekly criticized Card's "flimsy novella" and stated that the main purpose of it was to attempt to link homosexuality to pedophilia.[34] Card responded to the claim:

...[T]here is no link whatsoever between homosexuality and pedophilia in this book. Hamlet's father, in the book, is a pedophile, period. I don't show him being even slightly attracted to adults of either sex. It is the reviewer, not me, who has asserted this link, which I would not and did not make.[17]

Again...people will read only what they want to read into things...

...[T]here is no link whatsoever between homosexuality and pedophilia in this book. Hamlet's father, in the book, is a pedophile, period. I don't show him being even slightly attracted to adults of either sex. It is the reviewer, not me, who has asserted this link, which I would not and did not make.[17]

Exactly. regardless of the fact that Card flat out said, "That's NOT what the character represents" it won't even occur to these people that that might actually be a truthful answer. They WANT fuel for their agenda and they're gonna find it.

This same crap happens in politics and religion on a daily basis and is the reason the country's so screwed up now.

one I've read, and here's the gist from Wiki...

Card's novella Hamlet's Father, which re-imagines the backstory of Shakespeare's play Hamlet, some claim that Card directly links the king's pedophilia with homosexuality. The novella prompted public outcry and its publishers were inundated with complaints.[16] The trade journal Publisher's Weekly criticized Card's "flimsy novella" and stated that the main purpose of it was to attempt to link homosexuality to pedophilia.[34] Card responded to the claim:

I don't see what that quote has to do with anything. So he doesn't think there is a link between homosexuality and pedophilia. He has still on multiple occassions called for revolution if same sex marriage is allowed:

"How long before married people answer the dictators thus: Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down, so it can be replaced with a government that will respect and support marriage, and help me raise my children in a society where they will expect to marry in their turn."

In his essay "The Hypocrites of Homosexuality" he writes: "This applies also to the polity, the citizens at large. Laws against homosexual behavior should remain on the books, not to be indiscriminately enforced against anyone who happens to be caught violating them, but to be used when necessary to send a clear message that those whoflagrantly violate society's regulation of sexual behavior cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society."

So I guess its up to you. I personally feel his beliefs go beyond the realm of just a traditional marriage enthusiast but he hasn't called for executing homosexuals (although a revolution would lead to the deaths of many).

I don't see what that quote has to do with anything.

It is an example of his work that some would call controversial for the sake of argument. It applies to the general implication that a writer' personal convictions absolutely bleed into his work as sociopolitical diatribe.

Please share instances in Card's previous work that would justify all the negative hype.

At least with taking on Superman, making the Toyman a pedophile has been done...*gasp* unless the new angle is all male children! Damn you, Card!

I don't see what that quote has to do with anything.

It is an example of his work that some would call controversial for the sake of argument. It applies to the general implication that a writer' personal convictions absolutely bleed into his work as sociopolitical diatribe.

Please share instances in Card's previous work that would justify all the negative hype.

At least with taking on Superman, making the Toyman a pedophile has been done...*gasp* unless the new angle is all male children! Damn you, Card!

I see where you were going with it now. I did share instances from Card's previous work that justifies the negative hype (IMO). Not from his novels or creative work but from his essays. Like I said I have no problem with him doing Superman but understand why people feel the need to vent about Card.

Gay sci-fi author asks DC for ‘balance,’ offers to write Superman

In an open letter, award-winning science fiction author David Gerrold has asked DC Comics for balance — and a job.

In response to the publisher hiring Ender’s Game author and gay-marriage opponent Orson Scott Card to contribute to its Adventures of Superman anthology, Gerrold suggests DC hire an “openly gay writer,” which he happens to be.

Gerrold writes:

Dear DC Comics Editors,

I see that you have hired a writer for Superman who has written strongly of his opposition to equal rights for LGBT people. And I see that there is an online petition protesting that move.

Perhaps you could balance that decision by hiring an openly gay writer to draft a Superman story for a future issue.

I hereby volunteer.

I have been a fan of Superman since Bud Collyer played him on the radio. (Before TV was invented.) I can remember Brainiac’s first appearance, and Bizarro too. And I cried when George Reeves died.

I do have some small credential as a writer of science fiction and fantasy. I have published a few books and written a few teleplays. (You can look me up on the internet.) I have also written some mangas, and I wrote two issues of the Babylon 5 comic you published ten years ago.

I have some very good ideas that I think would work well for the series. I’d like the opportunity to write for you the very best Superman story ever.

Sincerely yours,

David Gerrold

“The Trouble With Tribbles”

Land Of The Lost

Twilight Zone

The Martian Child

(and a whole bunch of other stuff)

Card was hired because he's a proven author. This guy wants a job because he's gay and

I have published a few books and written a few teleplays.

Hey, man, why stop with this senerio? Go into any place of potential employment, find a worker that does good, quality work for the company, who happens to be against same sex marriage, then go in and ask for a job. Item number one on your resume can be "to provide balance in the work place". Did an actual adult really propose this???

Card's hiring is not about his BELIEFS on gay marriage. But this guy's hiring WOULD BE about his being gay because as he said himself, he wants to "balance" things. OH...and he cried when George Reeves died of course.

This country is DOOMED!

I find it funny that people are more focused on the opinions of the writers/directors than the actual content.

This goes to both the "anti-gay marriage" camp and "pro-gay marriage" camp. Not just one or the other.

A few of the posters here for instance referred to the Superman Returns movie and how several people (in general), including a few posters who used to post here, were pissed in thinking that Byran Singer "gay" up Superman for one detail or another - details that otherwise be overlooked. Likewise, I am sure there are going to be comicbook readers who are going to disect every dialogue in this new run, finding "details" that Card is projecting his anti-homosexual stance in his comics. I really doubt it considering the controversies that him penning the series caused.

I find it funny that people are more focused on the opinions of the writers/directors than the actual content.

This goes to both the "anti-gay marriage" camp and "pro-gay marriage" camp. Not just one or the other.

A few of the posters here for instance referred to the Superman Returns movie and how several people (in general), including a few posters who used to post here, were pissed in thinking that Byran Singer "gay" up Superman for one detail or another - details that otherwise be overlooked. Likewise, I am sure there are going to be comicbook readers who are going to disect every dialogue in this new run, finding "details" that Card is projecting his anti-homosexual stance in his comics. I really doubt it considering the controversies that him penning the series caused.

I honestly didnt know anything about Brian Singer being gay or anything about his personal life until post-Superman Returns criticsms. It has no bearing on his products as a filmmaker. If he did "gay" up Superman, I guess I missed the connection swimming in the sea of suck that was that movie

And, yes, you're totally right in your opening sentences there, Saber.

• 2 weeks later...